Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:51:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  need advice about hatching an egg!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: need advice about hatching an egg!!  (Read 2453 times)
ligeia
« on: July 22, 2007, 01:16:42 AM »

Someone gave me a quial egg that they found while doing yard work. It is white with brown spots and I have no idea how to take care of it. I raise reptiles, so for the time being I put it inside the incubator I already have for that. It has a humidy level of about 70-80% and the temp stays at 83-86 F. It has only been in this environment overnight as I got it this evening. I know this isn't ideal whatsoever but what would be better? I really would like to try saving this egg if that's possible. Should I be turning it? How do I know when it is close to hatching or if it is bad? Someone suggested I put it in my oven at 90 degrees until something better can be set up, would a simple heating lamp be ok Thank you for any advice anyone can give! :)
ligeia
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 01:28:31 AM »

another question: Can I candle it to tell if it is good? When candling reptile eggs, you look for a pink hue and veins. If it has a yellowish tint and no veins its infertile. Is this true with bird eggs too? Or should I just leave the egg alone? :/
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 05:11:38 AM »

Depending on what stage of incubation it's in. You will see veins at around 5-7days. First I would candle it. In early stages, you will see nice pronounce veins if it's good. If bad...the veins will be bit blury or see blood clots like.(I cant find the word to describe lol) So sounds similar to reptiles.
If egg looks good..then candle again a few days latter to see if still good. If bad, just toss it. Should turn atleast 3X's a day.

If egg is in latter stage, then it will be obvious when candled.

You need temp at ~101degrees in an incubator without fan and around 99.5 in an incubator with fan. I know some reptile bators are preset and doesnt go that high but that's the temp you need.

As far as when it will hatch...we would need to identify the egg as to what type of quail. Some info that may help is what area you from. Or a picture. Description of candle. Im guessing it may be Valley or Gamble since I havent heard of too many Coturnix makin it in the wild.

Read more here: http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=3656.0 and the other sticky at the top. Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 05:18:12 AM by aKirA » Logged
ligeia
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 11:21:15 AM »

Thanks for explaining the candling! I will try that right away.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »