Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:23:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Buy and Sell
| | |-+  Quail for sale in Indiana
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail for sale in Indiana  (Read 19739 times)
galaxie428

« on: June 23, 2008, 11:54:30 AM »

We had some bobwhite quail left over from training last year and they started laying eggs. I told my wife if we got a few, it would be neat to see if we could get them to hatch. We are getting several now and I am looking to sell some of them if anyone is interested. They will be 16 weeks at the end of August. I am also selling chicks if you want to raise them or have kids that would like to raise them.

We are located south of New Castle, IN, a few miles south of 40. If you are interested, shoot me an email at galaxie428@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Jason
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 07:43:16 AM by galaxie428 » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 06:21:39 PM »

Not that I want any, but what kind of quail are those?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 09:46:47 PM »

Yea I was wondering what kind of quail they were. I know they can"t be bob's if they are  going to be 16 week's old at the end of august. thank ya Jim ???
galaxie428

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 07:42:52 AM »

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that they are bobwhites. After looking at my calendar last night, they will be "officially" 16 weeks on September 6th.

I don't raise quail or atleast I should say I never did, this is my first time. I am curious as to why you say they can't be bob's and be 16 weeks at the end of August.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 07:53:53 AM by galaxie428 » Logged
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 08:21:46 AM »

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that they are bobwhites. After looking at my calendar last night, they will be "officially" 16 weeks on September 6th.

I don't raise quail or atleast I should say I never did, this is my first time. I am curious as to why you say they can't be bob's and be 16 weeks at the end of August.

What was the completed hatch date of these birds??? 

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:14:01 AM »

I have 2500 birds hatched April 20th will be mature on August 10th. Why cant bobwhites be mature then?

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Quality bobwhite quail, chukar partridge and pheasants (started and mature.)
galaxie428

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 09:37:31 AM »

The completed hatch date is 16 weeks back from September 6th, May 17th. Am I missing something here, have I miss counted? I thought bobwhites were considered mature at 16 weeks or at least that is what I read on this site somewhere.
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 10:08:37 AM »

They are considered mature then. You didnt miss anything.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Quality bobwhite quail, chukar partridge and pheasants (started and mature.)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:36:50 AM »

The completed hatch date is 16 weeks back from September 6th, May 17th. Am I missing something here, have I miss counted? I thought bobwhites were considered mature at 16 weeks or at least that is what I read on this site somewhere.

That is 16 weeks to the date.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS017#SECTION_5

Much of the adult plumage is present when the chicks reach 10 weeks of age; the sex of most birds can be determined by feather patterns at 12 weeks of age; and they are generally considered mature at 16 weeks of age. At this age, the bobwhite can be used for meat or hunting preserve purposes. Breeders can also be paired at this time.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 11:18:56 PM »

We are getting several now

and I am looking to sell some of them if anyone is interested. They will be 16 weeks at the end of August.

Thanks,
Jason

The first part, above, sounds a little like you meant you are getting fresh hatched chicks, now (which would not be mature in August).  I think that was Jim's point of view (not that he's unable to speak for himself).  We hillbillies can see things a bit too literal, at times.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:30:31 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
galaxie428

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 07:32:55 AM »

I see. I guess I knew what I was talking about when I was typing it but that doesn't mean it is going to be interpreted the same way. That is why I also added that I had chicks for sale too. I don't have any large amounts but I have more than I need for my training, that is why I would like to sell some of them.

We just had 68 more hatch over the weekend. Doesn't sound like much compared to what many of you have I am sure. I was just hoping some locals would be in need of birds when we decided to see if we could get any of these eggs we were getting to hatch. I hated to just throw them out.
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 04:30:32 PM »

I hated to just throw them out.

No need for that...EAT THEM!!!

They are great hard boiled and eaten plain, on salads (like cherry tomatoes), pickled (get you a good recipe), deviled, etc.

I cook all my extra eggs (when I have them).  If I don't eat them, I have plenty of people lined up wanting them.

You can even color them for easter   001
or give them out as gifts   c181

By the way....How much for your birds?  I'm less than an hour from you.
galaxie428

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 07:28:46 AM »

Bird Brained,

I have heard of people eating them but wouldn't it take about 30 eggs to make a meal? I only get about 5-8 a day!

I will be asking $3 for our birds at 16 weeks or we would take $1.50 for the chicks. If you know anyone looking for birds, send them my way. I am hoping not to get stuck with all of them. I plan on keeping some for training but the bulk of them I would sell.

Where are you located? We are north of Rushville about 8 miles.
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 05:32:18 PM »

Trafalgar, just southwest of Franklin.

Here's a pic of a canned jar of some of my pickled Bobwhite Quail Eggs from my last batch a few weeks ago.  There are 70 eggs in the jar.  I pickled 1,500 total eggs.  I also can some plain for those that don't like the pickling brew.

makesmiles

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 11:02:55 PM »

c53

Bird Brained, do you mind giving out your recipe? 

David

p33
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »