Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:52:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Power Failure
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Power Failure  (Read 4262 times)
JasonTX

« on: June 07, 2008, 11:39:54 PM »

First post here and very first attempt at incubating eggs.  I have 42 bobwhite quail eggs that are in the incubator for 2 days when a storm came through and knocked out the power.  We were out of power for 17 hours and the temperature of the incubator dropped down to 78 degrees.  Are these eggs beyond hope for hatching?
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 11:56:07 PM »

Since they have only been in the incubator for a couple days and the power was only out for 17 hours go on and let them run there normal cycle and they will mose likely hatch a day or two later that they were suppose to hope this helps thank ya Jim
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 12:00:09 AM »

Probably no damage done, especially that early.  78 was incubator temperature, eggs were probably still 10 degrees or more higher.  If it happens, again, throw a folded quilt over the incubator (gently).

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 12:17:58 AM »

s53 were good
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 12:37:06 AM »

So many of us agreeing on so much at the same time is weird.  Something wrong, here.  Heat stroke?  Mass hysteria?  Lunar eclipse? PMS?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 08:25:47 AM »

I truly & honestly hate to say it, but Jim and Wilder are right
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 09:59:13 PM »

Thanks Reeves I think that is the 1st compliment I've got from you  as a matter a fact I think that is the first compliment you ever gave. (just kidding) j41 Thank ya Jim
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 01:26:42 AM »

::)

Yeah.....but just remember.........he hated to say it.

s020

s6

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
skyles creek

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 09:49:42 PM »

Just wanted to let you know that I recently had the same problem. I lost power for an extended period of time. The worst part is that it was three days before the pheasant eggs were due to hatch and I had just opened the lid and took all eggs out of the automatic turner, which of course allowed all of the heat to escape. Five minutes later the power went off for a little over 24 hours. I didn't expect any of those eggs to hatch but to my surprise I did have 13 out of the 41 eggs to hatch. Not a great hatch rate but I was very surprised that any hatched.
jbird
Expert Member

Gods Creatures are for everyone to enjoy

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »

Man, talk about bad timing.  I've had this happen to, but it was just three hours thank god
makesmiles

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 11:36:41 PM »

c53

Don't know if this will help anyone, but you can buy an inverter that plugs into your cars accessory jack (cigarette lighter) that will convert 12 VDC to 120 VAC.  You can then plug your incubator into the inverter and run the incubator.  I have done this for a number of 120 V appliances when on trips.  Be careful as it will run your battery down in time.  However, you can also buy a deep cycle trolling motor battery and a 12 V accessory plug with alligator clips.  Clip that to the battery, plug in the inverter then plug in the incubator.  You are then up and running again.  If your incubator is a GQF, they sell a 12 volt adaptor for their incubators.  Some of this may help you get over the hump until the electricity comes back on.

Hope this helps.

David

p33
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 06:51:35 AM »

s98 that is a great tip makesmiles....

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »