Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:06:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  i think i stopped turning our quail eggs too soon! what should i do?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: i think i stopped turning our quail eggs too soon! what should i do?  (Read 4107 times)
amissmosely

« on: April 11, 2008, 06:19:57 PM »

we are incubating bobwhite quail for the first time. i was under the impression they had about a 21 day incubation period, so i stopped turning them on day 18.
today is day 21, and i just read that they can take up to 24 days to hatch!

should i turn them again or just leave them alone?

also , i increased the humidity already too. should i lower it again?

im so worried, please give me any info you can!

thanks,
amy
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 06:52:08 PM »

I know I'm going to be in trouble for giving you advice, since you're a girl.  But for the good of the birdies, I will

Personally, I would turn them 2-3 times, and lower the humidity for 24 hrs.  I doubt it would make a lot of difference.  They probably will not stick [to the shell], this late into incubation.

You shouldn't have stayed away for two years, you probably would have noticed the hatching time required.  The 21 days is rotation time, probably where you got that number.  You'll double check everything, next time, so it was a good lesson.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:33:45 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 07:43:22 PM »

The only way to correct the situation would be to turn back time.  Since you can't do that, all you can do is hope for the best. I'd go with what wildergamebirds suggested.

I know I'm going to be in trouble for giving you advice, since you're a girl. 

::)    s47     Good thing we all know that you're just jokin'.  Otherwise, you'd be in a world of trouble, I've been to OSU don't you know, 4th in the nation, and I was only 12 years old at the time, right now I'm studying common sense, and almost have my bachelors in Ego-nomics.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 08:39:27 PM »

I know I'm going to be in trouble for giving you advice, since you're a girl. 

::)    s47     Good thing we all know that you're just jokin'.  Otherwise, you'd be in a world of trouble, I've been to OSU don't you know, 4th in the nation, and I was only 12 years old at the time, right now I'm studying common sense, and almost have my bachelors in Ego-nomics.

If she asks, give her a quick explanation, or direct her to the other post.  I guess we get involved with too much inside stuff her for the new folks, huh?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 09:56:23 PM »

You should be ok. It doesn't have to be exact 3 days before hatch date. Anything around then give or take a day or two is fine.

btw, are you single?? hahaahha joking!!!!!!!!!!hahahahhhahahaahahah j45
amissmosely

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 08:50:55 AM »

j45

one hatched!!!

now we will just wait and hope for the best with the others.

thanks guys!

amy
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 12:15:12 AM »

I am at 17 days with teh red jungle fowl.....most the sights say to stop, but incubation is 19-21 days? I guess it is time to stop.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 01:21:39 AM »

That 3 day deal is not written in stone. They should be fine if you did everything else right...Oh and by the way you single??? s020 s020 s020

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »