Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:43:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  STOPPED TURNING QUAIL EGGS TOO SOON!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: STOPPED TURNING QUAIL EGGS TOO SOON!!!!  (Read 8954 times)
MATTNHOLLY
« on: June 09, 2004, 08:53:15 AM »

Well, I guess I did a BIG DUMB :oops:  I read that quail eggs only take 20-21 days to incubate and that you should take them out of the turner on day 18. So thats what I did. Well, no babies hatched. So I look up on here and on other sites and they all say 23-25 days!! And to take them out on day 21!! :shock:  GREAT!! My question is....today is day 23....how good are my chance of them still hatching if I stopped turning them 2 days early?? I guess from now on I'll just make sure I double check everything like that! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks! :lol:
Superbird
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 10:42:59 AM »

You may get some that have problems like sprawled legs or crooked necks. They may be fine. Time will tell.
CHARLIE

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 04:03:11 PM »

I TAKE MY BOBWHITE EGGS TO THE HATCHER ON THE 19TH DAY AND HAVE GREAT HATCHES, SO GIVE THEM A LITTLE TIME,
                 CHARLIE

WAS A ADVANCED MEMBER IN THE OLD FORUM
MATTNHOLLY
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 04:11:18 PM »

Do they usually start hatching right around the 23rd day?? Or later than that? Thanks for the encouragement!! Keep your fingers crossed!!  :D
Superbird
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 12:10:30 PM »

Depends on you  incubator temp. If is was a little low they may start late, a little high they may start a day or so early.
MATTNHOLLY
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 12:33:21 PM »

Low and Behold!! We have two babies!!!! :lol: I came home from work last night and there they were. Cute as can be!! I had 55 eggs total, so hopefully more will be following shortly! They both look fine too, no side effects showing up yet. I'll keep you updated! :wink:
MATTNHOLLY
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 01:44:41 PM »

We now have 16 babies and more are coming. They all seem to be happy and healthy.  :lol:  A lot of the eggs are pipped and we have some where you can see them moving the egg. Guess a lot of worries for nothing! Thanks for all the help though!
britguy33
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 12:28:42 AM »

I have had 2 hatches out of my still air hovabator. temp was 100 on the dot, humidity was 60% till day 20 I took them out put them in a hatcher with 80% humidity and they waiter till 24th day to start hatching both times. So I don't think you did anything wrong. Mabey just how it works in still air incubators.I had a 50% hatch rate this last time. I am thinking about waiting 1 more day to raise humidity and stop turning next time and see how it goes.
MATTNHOLLY
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 10:15:30 AM »

Since I last posted, we have had right around 20 more hatch. And since we only had 55 eggs, I figure that we are well over our 50% hopeful hatch rate. And more are still hatching!! None of them seem to have any problems either.  :D Now if only I had that good of luck with my pheasants!! I had 140 eggs and only 30 chicks!! So today I am going to take a few eggs and crack them open to see if there were chicks or not! That aught to be exciting :? ??!!
CHARLIE

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2004, 05:17:53 PM »

HI
 GLAD YOU GOT A GOOD HATCH.. TOLD YOU TO GIVE THEM SOME TIME..
                              CHARLIE

WAS A ADVANCED MEMBER IN THE OLD FORUM
County Line Gamebird Farm
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 04:30:18 PM »

Eggs will generally hatch late if the temp is low, generally about a day late per degree.  Not all therms are correct and just cause it's new doesn't mean it's right.  You might like to get another one and double check.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »