Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Strange Hatch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Strange Hatch  (Read 3433 times)
wvgirl
« on: April 03, 2007, 05:37:59 AM »

I have been getting my eggs from a very good source for several years. This year alot of the eggs are not hatching. Some are peeping and when they do nothing more, I peel the shell back to see what is wrong and the chick is formed but bloody and dead. I have never experienced anything like this before. The ones that are hatching, alot of them are weak or spraddle legged.  When the eggs arrived although they were packaged well, some where broken or cracked. I have done this for several years and I do closely monitor temp and humidity. This one has me scratching my head.  I got a bad quality eggs this time around is the only thing that I can think it might be. Any ideas
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 08:10:08 AM »

If I were you I would thouroughly clean and sterilize the incubator. Then pick up a new thermometer & hygrometer. Use distilled water .

Then try again.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 09:07:01 AM »

I have been getting my eggs from a very good source for several years. This year alot of the eggs are not hatching. Some are peeping and when they do nothing more, I peel the shell back to see what is wrong and the chick is formed but bloody and dead.

I am also experiencing this same problem. 

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wvgirl
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 03:51:14 PM »

If I were you I would thouroughly clean and sterilize the incubator. Then pick up a new thermometer & hygrometer. Use distilled water .

Then try again.
I thoughly cleaned and sterilized my incubators before I started the incubation.Nothing is wrong with anything else. I thoughly checked all of this before I started the incubation of the eggs. Out of 550 eggs, 222 did not hatch. some were rotten, some had partially formed embreyos and some died before hatching. I will be lucky to get 100 chicks out of 550 to make it to adulthood.  thanks for the suggestion appreciate it.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 04:28:27 PM »

Now I think about it. I've been experiencing the same thing on a smaller scale.

Last batch of 15 butler giant eggs....6 was fully developed but did not attempt to break out of their shells and died.

And currently have 3 chicken eggs that developed and I was hoping would hatch Tuesday...but nothing. Hard to candle but I don't think they are still alive. I'll give it a day or two then check.

Hmm...Im stumped too. I've done everything as usual and can't think what could be the cause. strange...really strange. Must be Global Warming? hehe
wvgirl
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 09:10:16 PM »

I just used the same incubator to hatch out araucanas chicken eggs that someone gave me. 9 out of 12 hatched. 1 was rotten and the others had embreyos that had just started to form but didnot develope. nothing wrong with the incubator.
Bloomingtongamebirds

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 03:23:03 PM »

It might be oxygen depletion, some people worry about humidity so much that they shut down the supply of oxygen to raise humidity and the chicks suffocate. When you have 500 eggs incubating,hatching they use alot of oxygen.  It's a balance issue .You said that you hatched  a few chickens and they did fine, might be because they didn't need the same amount of oxygen.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 03:24:59 PM by Bloomingtongamebirds » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »