Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:59:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  INCUBATOR
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: INCUBATOR  (Read 3337 times)
thatahemi
« on: April 26, 2005, 08:37:56 AM »

I HAVE AN OLDER HOVA BATOR WITH THE INNER AND OUTER WATER TRAY.
TO KEEP THE  HUMIDITY AT 63% I HAVE FILLED BOTH RESERVOIRS AND ADDED A WATER SOAKED SPONGE.(REG. KITCHEN SIZE 4"X3")
IS IT O.K. TO OPEN THE BATOR ONCE OR TWICE A DAY TO REFIIL WATER?
THERE ARE ABOUT ABOUT 4 HALF PENCIL WIDTH HOLES ON TOP FOR VENTS AND THE SAME ON THE BOTTOM.
IS MY WATER EVAPPING TO QUICK? I DONT WANT TO STAGNATE THE AIR BY BLOCKING TO MANY OFF.
BATING GOLDENS
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 08:57:10 PM »

Your incubator shouldnt evaporate both trays of water that fast unless your air is extremely dry and of course your using an older still air model incubator. Usually filling it up once and again the last three days of incubating is ample water for the humidity unless of course your in a drier climate area.  Avoid opening it as much as possible especially during the last three days but it will be fine to open it up to add water if you need to.  If your incubator is capable try adding a fan kit for your next hatch.  Also lightly misting the eggs works good too during the final few days.  You dont want to block off the bottom holes or the top holes around the thermostat but you may need to place the vent caps in if you havent already done so on the larger two holes.  

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
thatahemi
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 09:06:13 AM »

LARRY,
I DO HAVE THE FAN KIT ON IT. BIG VENT HOLES ARE PLUGGED. I'M MEAURING HUMIDITY WITH A WICK THERMOMMETR. EVEN WHEN IT WAS RAINING OUT THE EVAP RATE WAS HIGH. BOTH TROUGHS HALF DOWN AND THE SPONGE TOTALLY DRY IN ABOUT 8 HOURS. IS THAT NORMAL?
THANKS, TOM
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 11:26:35 PM »

Every incubator works differently especially in different environments.   Our incubators took longer to evaporate the water if I remember correctly.  WIth it being humid during your rainy days it still should be higher than that.  Actually I would expect to see water drops.  Is your fan working properly and do you have your incubator away from any drafts and sunlight?  Some house are especially dry so if you have a basement or a dedicated room that may work too.  Adding a humidifier also works for some instances as well.

Larry

NPIP 52-186
thatahemi
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 08:43:42 AM »

LARRY,
THE INCUBATOR IS IN THE BASEMENT, NO DRAFTS, FAN IS OK. I GEUSS I'LL GET ANOTHER HUMIDITY GAUGE AND CROSS CHECK IT WITH THE EXISITING ONE. IM' LOOKING FOR 60 TO 63% UNTIL THREE DAYS BEFORE HATCH THEN 80%...RIGHT? I GEUSS I'LL CANDLE AT 10 DAYS.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, TOM
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 05:54:06 PM »

Try one of the digital thermometer/ hygrometers from Wal-Mart or Radio Shack.  They work great too.  I dont use the Wet Bulb method anymore with the wick.  I convert the relative humidity over and it works just as good.  We just hatched 840 out of 1,000 eggs this past weekend.

Larry

NPIP 52-186
thatahemi
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 07:06:43 AM »

HOW DO YOU CONVERT RELATIVE HUMIDITY? DOES THE DIGITAL UNIT GIVE YOU THE RELATVE HUMIDITY IN A PERCENTAGE? OR DO YOU HAVE TO USE A CHART AS WELL?
TOM
O.K....I GOT THE DIGITAL HYGRO /THERMO...I HAVE THREE  THERMOMETERS ONE MERCURY READS 99.5 THE OTHER MERCURY READS 100... THE DIGITAL READS 98 AND THE DIGITAL HYGRO READS 54%. MY WET BULB READS 88. WHICH ONES DO I BELIEVE!!! AM I BEING TO PICKY. I FEEL LIKE A MOTHER HEN :shock:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »