Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:47:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Eggs, soon!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eggs, soon!  (Read 3186 times)
animal_lover1920
« on: January 12, 2005, 08:15:23 PM »

Hello! Just ordered some bobwhite quail eggs and an incubator. I have some questions, though. Well, here go's!!!

1. How long does it take the eggs to hatch?

2. Should I separate the males from females, since I dont want more?

3. When they hatch, should I take them out of the incubator?

4. If I do take them out of the incubator, what should I put them in?

5. What age is mature?

6. I know they are Bobwhites, but how can I tell what kind of bobwhites they
   are?!

Well, thanks so much for reading all my questions! I know I have to learn a lot, and I'm going to my library tomarrow to get some books on them. And Im here, and reading on some other sites. But I cant find any information on these questions.

Thanks for reading,

animal_lover1920 (aka: Rachel)
chizekfarm
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 10:07:17 PM »

go back to the quail place home page.  click on propagation  it will have  lot of your answers there.   they  have recipes,  tell about didnt species  and etc. this quail form is a great site you just have to surf around  and you will be surprise what you can learn
animal_lover1920
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 09:18:35 AM »

Oops! Sorry, I didn't know that. Did'nt even see the link..  :roll: . I need to pay more attention. Thanks so much!!

A-L-1920
eggy
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 01:24:41 AM »

If you don't want more quail, just don't incubate the eggs. (eat them instead). Chances are the parents won't incubate them. You may want to seperate the males from each other to keep them from fighting.

Have fun,
eggy
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 06:19:56 AM »

never seen males fighting. If you don't incubate the eggs there will be no more chicks.

Hatching takes about 23 days

Take them from the incubator when the little guys are dry usually 24 hours after the hatch

You need a box or tupperware container (LARGE)with a heat lamp on one end, you need grower/starter and a water source. they will drown if they get into the water and if they get cold they will die. 95 to 99 degrees until they get their first feathers some say to drrop the temp one degree a day but I don't bother with that. I just make sure they have a cool place to regulate their own temps. I also put a small amount of sugar in their water helps with energy and each chick needs to be shown the water, I put their beaks in the water once they know from then on. After the 3rd day I take out the sugar and add some type of anitbiotic to the water. They stay on this until I move them into the growoff pens.

You can put them outside, or whereever, take the heat off of them when they are completely feathered out.

Your last question you will have to get a book, I could not help you without seeing the birds, maybe someone else could.

Keep looking around this site and the instructions with your incubtor should help you some also.

Good luck
Lori

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »