Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:19:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  GQF Quail pens and brooder info!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GQF Quail pens and brooder info!  (Read 2906 times)
Theaver

Personal Text

« on: February 15, 2014, 02:22:26 AM »

Since there isnt much info here on the GQF section pens and brooders for quail im starting a thread to give anyone else info... I looked all over online and couldnt find a ton of info on good vs bad...

I got most of the stuff in today and get the rest monday...

15 section breeder pens - they all seem pretty well built, but there are some bends on them that im going to have to try to iron out on the floor wire mostly... shouldnt be too bad... they have metal ring clamps that hold them together so I will be able to take off clamps to make 2 sections into one cage to give some more space for the coturnix (1 male to 4 hens is what im doing) the doors on the cages have no latches.. so we will see how they work out... I may have to buu some little latches for them.... they come with plastic feed and water trays to clamp on the sides of the cages... all the wire is covered in a black plastic shrink wrap so there is no sharp wire anywhere or bare wire... should be much better on their feet. Each cage if left in 3 sections per cage is enough room for 2 birds from what ive experienced with coturnix quail... my birds dont fight each other at all after I got them separated with who gets along with who....

I havent set it up yet to give more info just yet... more will come...

GQF stack brooder - I got the one that has one brooder and two grow out cages that stack... they are bigger than I expected... plenty of room for quail chicks... the brooder could fit 50 chicks easy room wise.... it had two ceramic heaters and two blue light bulbs for the heater element... instructions to put their stuff together suck! So its good to know more or less how a brooder goes together... the instructions are real bad... but I got it together in about 45 min... the stack came with the roll around frame to put them on so the stack can roll around and be moved... first thing I noticed is the brooder is not built where the feed and water troughs are excessable for chick quail... the feed and water trys are too deep hanging off the side for small quail to reach... so that being said a waterer and feeder will have to be put inside the brooder... once chicks are grown out a few weeks they may be able to reach the feeder trays on the outside of the brooder... on the sidea of the brooder it has an adjustable metal piece to open or close the gap to the right width for chicks to stick their head out for the feed trays... but there is a lip on the bottom which makes it too high for baby quail to use... hince why I said you gotta put food and water trys in the brooder....

Ill post more info when I get it all set up and birds in it all... pics will follow so everyone can see what im talking about in good detail. Give me a few days to get stuff set up and figure it all out myself.... it all looks like its going to work really well though. Much cleaner set ups than most poop wise... they are all built so poop will only go into the trays and the birds cant get poop all over the floor of where they are kept... looks like it will save a lot of space too.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »