Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 02:18:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  What happen to the quail I released?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What happen to the quail I released?  (Read 2427 times)
Ron P

Personal Text

« on: August 07, 2013, 11:31:27 AM »

For the past couple of years I have been asked to rear quail that were part of a grade school science project. The children incubate and hatch the eggs, measure, weight and feed the chicks, show them to the parents etc. at about 10 days they give then to me to raise and release.  :?: :?:

I raise them for about 12 weeks them release them. I live on 20 acres of corn ground in northern Indiana but I am surrounded by unmown fields and a large tract of woods and wet ground. We have an abundance of turkeys and deer but between late July when I release them, and November when I am hunting they seem to disappear. I have released more than 150 quail in the last 2 years but I have yet to hear a call in the spring.  :sad:

I suppose I am feeding the coyotes, foxes and hawks but I would think that at least a few bird would survive. Northern Indiana was never great quail country but there were still a few around in the early 1980’s and the area has not changed all that much.

Is this typical?     
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 12:28:05 PM »

When I had my 40ac I realeased hundreds and hundreds of them and would very seldom see any on my place but would jump quail down the road from my place. The most I ever saw in a covy was 15 r 20 birds..They just roam all over the place..and yes the varmints do get there share..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 11:01:14 AM »

Same results for me here in Ohio. Although, I would hear a few calls in the spring.

I did find out the reason that I was not seeing them, wasn't because they were not there, it was simply because they were sitting tight. I realized this by chance when I happen to take my Golden Retreiver to the property where I had been releasing most of my BWs. The dogs natural instincts had no problems finding several quail on the property, to my delight.

So, if you can take a dog with you.........you may be surprised!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »