Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:38:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  how long do you wait
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how long do you wait  (Read 7023 times)
cowboy joe
« on: April 26, 2004, 07:06:41 PM »

The first chick from the latest incubation hatched this morning.  The total count is 9 chicks out of 53 eggs so far (12 hours later).  I typically go 24-36 hours after the first egg hatches before I call the game.  I've raised chickens and some quail but I'm still a rookie by all counts.  Should I wait longer?  Thanks in advance.
faro

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 12:04:33 AM »

Hi CJ,
   I just had my Gambel quail hatch go 3 days. I would wait  to be sure. It all depends on the eggs, if you have pipped eggs, wait a little longer for them.

I raise chickens also, and the hatches do not usually go over 2 days.

Quail do take their sweet time!  :wink:
cowboy joe
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 07:04:05 AM »

Faro,

Thanks for the advice.  If it wasn't for your comment, I would have shut the incubator down after 2-2 1/2 days and had a crummy hatch.  Fortunately I took your advice and left the incubator on...WOW, the number hatched doubled toward the end of day three.  There were one or two more trying to pip this morning so I left the incubator on.  Guess I'll need to be a bit more patient in the future.  Thanks again.

CJ
albartsch
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 07:35:55 AM »

I'm incubating chicken eggs at my daughter's preschool. For various reasons, there was a problem, and the incubator spent 24 hours at 112 degrees.  I've got it back to 100, but would any of you like to speculate as to whether I have soft boiled eggs?  Should I candle them? (I don't have equipment for this).  Thanks.
albartsch
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 07:37:09 AM »

By the way, I don't know if it matters, but they were 7 days old when this happened.
Don McGowan
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 08:11:25 AM »

You have a small mag-lite flashlight? put the eggs in a dark room and try it.
I would bet some of the eggs would hatch If I were a betting man those little guys are tuff
faro

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 11:20:22 PM »

Hey, that's great CJ. Glad your hatch turned out better!  :wink:
cowboy joe
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 06:22:02 AM »

The incubator is still running...4 1/2 days since the first chick hatched (23 days total incubation time...these are jumbo brown coturnix).  Woke up to 2 new chicks in the incubator this morning.  This is been one of the best hatches yet with 80% of the eggs hatching.  My normal hatch rate is around 50-60% for the styrofoam unit I am using...guess I'll have to build another brooder!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »