Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 12:00:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Chomps on birds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chomps on birds  (Read 3489 times)
huntindog
« on: October 06, 2004, 12:52:11 PM »

Hi guy, I am training my first bird dog ( a Brittany) she is one year old and doing exceptionaly well.  She is steady to wing, shot, and fall.  She backs (honors) on her own, but lately she has taken to chomping on the quail that I train her with.  She is in season right now and I was wondering if anyone thinks this might have something to do with it?  I have heard that sometimes they get goofy when in heat.  Anyway does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to stop.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  

Thanks Julie
muttsburg
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 02:00:22 PM »

It's been years since I did the bird dog thing (springers) and by far I am no expert. We trained on sented pigeons as pups and this helped keep them respectful. Then years ago someone came up with the great idea of starting them out with a stuffed dummy that looks like a small  boat bumper. We tried it and almost imediately started having problems.

It wasn't as much of an issue with the new pups but it changed the attitude of the mostly trained ones. It was like they couldn't tell the difference between the feel of a sented dummy and the feel of a sented pigeon, or didn't care. They got over it with retraining but it was a long set back for our time schedule.

I think my first question would be, have you brought in any new toys for play time and what types do you use? If you have toys and play that encourage chomping (like squeeky or stuffed toys, playing tug of war) she may have an association problem going back and forth/in and out of the chomping mode. It can happen with even older well seasoned hunters. "Well, when I chomp down on my other toys they squeek and I like that a lot!!"

If she started with a soft mouth then I would look to possible changes in the rest of her world. "We always blame  THAT TIME OF THE MONTH. I've always said the I never get PMS, but my husband gets extreemly unreasonable 4 days out of every month :wink:  

Let us know what's happening with her.

Norma
Bird Crazed
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 09:05:33 PM »

Julie,
Well, I have a different thought for you.  You should force fetch your dog; this will eliminate your problem.  If you start with hold and transisition into fetch you won't have a chomper on your hands.  You will have liong corrected that problem during the hold phase with wooden bucks, dummies, frozen birds, fresh dead birds, and live birds.

In my opinion, no, your @$$$@ being in season has nothing to do with it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »