Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:53:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Flight Pen Height
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flight Pen Height  (Read 8187 times)
jsteidinger

Personal Text

« on: September 23, 2011, 11:12:46 AM »

I am new here but am VERY excited to find the site.  I hope to gain all sorts of wisdom from all the experts here.

OK, I am in the process of constructing a custom fly pen.  I have seen many different designs but, I am leaning toward the PVC Arch designs.  With that said I have a question.  The purpose of my birds is for them to be released onto my hunting preserve.  With safety of hunters and dogs in mind, my goal is to make sure my birds are very flighty and that they fly high.  I have purchased birds from quail breeders that are friendly, aren't scared of people, or, that fly low. 

So, my question.....

Does anyone know if height of the fly pen plays into how high birds fly? My main concern is that if I build it to low (say 6 feet in center) that the birds will become habitual and when released, never naturally fly higher than the 6 foot mark (which is a perfect height for a hunter to headshot another hunter).  I would like to see my birds take off from the ground and fly up/out to a minimum height of 12ft during the hunt.  I know you can't guarantee how high they fly but, would I be teaching them to fly lower by building a lower height fly pen?  You might say, "Your theory makes sense and just to be safe, add more height." but, there is a pretty substantial price difference in a 9ft high pen -vs- a 15ft high pen. 

Your thoughts?
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 12:22:24 PM »

I am new here but am VERY excited to find the site.  I hope to gain all sorts of wisdom from all the experts here.

OK, I am in the process of constructing a custom fly pen.  I have seen many different designs but, I am leaning toward the PVC Arch designs.  With that said I have a question.  The purpose of my birds is for them to be released onto my hunting preserve.  With safety of hunters and dogs in mind, my goal is to make sure my birds are very flighty and that they fly high.  I have purchased birds from quail breeders that are friendly, aren't scared of people, or, that fly low. 

So, my question.....

Does anyone know if height of the fly pen plays into how high birds fly? My main concern is that if I build it to low (say 6 feet in center) that the birds will become habitual and when released, never naturally fly higher than the 6 foot mark (which is a perfect height for a hunter to headshot another hunter).  I would like to see my birds take off from the ground and fly up/out to a minimum height of 12ft during the hunt.  I know you can't guarantee how high they fly but, would I be teaching them to fly lower by building a lower height fly pen?  You might say, "Your theory makes sense and just to be safe, add more height." but, there is a pretty substantial price difference in a 9ft high pen -vs- a 15ft high pen. 

Your thoughts?

I have found that pen hight made no difference in pheasant flight. I had my original pen at 6 foot in height and then to 12-14 feet. When the birds were released they went up and out and flew better then 500yard before settling down to run.

Make the hight as high as you like, or what ever feels comfortable to move around in. Most quail breeders also keep the birds off the ground as well.

If you want your birds flighty, keep them away from humans and feed them in the late evenings at dusk.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »