Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:21:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Flight pen ?'s
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flight pen ?'s  (Read 6843 times)
willholl79

Personal Text

« on: February 24, 2010, 07:45:50 PM »

Hello all, I have a couple questions.  I have an open barn, roughly 16x100.  It has a concrete floor and a tin roof.  It also has a 2' high block knee wall around it.  If I install neting around the sides will this make a good flight pen?  Most of the ones I see dont have a roof.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of having a roof.  Also will shavings over the concrete slab suffice.  Thanks for the help.
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:23:11 PM »

No doubt it would make a good flight pen, but I would make absolutely sure it is predator proof, and maybe consider putting up netting between the birds and the roof to keep them from hurting themselves by flying up into it. Also, myself, I would forego the shavings and put down 4" or more straw on the floor. I don't like shavings as the straw seems to settle better and make a more solid 'floor' per se. Just my opinion....

Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
willholl79

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:34:54 PM »

OK, I'll use wheat straw for the floor.  How many quail can I keep in a 16' x 100' pen?
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:33:20 PM »

Without having to do alot of clean up i would do only around 50-100 birds but it could probably hold more

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 05:45:18 PM »

OK, I'll use wheat straw for the floor.  How many quail can I keep in a 16' x 100' pen?

I'd put no more than 800 in there...

Keep in mind that the straw needs to be replaced after every brood of quail, and I would wash the concrete with hot soapy water with a bit of bleach in it before putting down straw and adding birds. Cleanliness is #1

Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
willholl79

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 05:54:12 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming!
ke4uzi

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 10:12:51 PM »

Without having to do alot of clean up i would do only around 50-100 birds but it could probably hold more

I keep 500 in a 12x32 flight pen, that should hold alot more. Put a thousand in and see what it looks like.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 06:30:09 PM »

Problem with straw is it is hollow. It can/may harbor mites etc.

I've read (and always use) a good quality hay or alfalfa hay for bedding (changed often) due to they will eat it. You want good clean bedding due to this.

Always make sure they have grit available at all times. Without this, they can get impacted crops/gizards.

It is also important (if in a barn like mentioned and on concrete) to have sand baths. Try to build them where the sun shines. They love this & will use at all times. Plus it keeps their feathers/skin in top condition.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »