Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 02:17:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Brooder thermostat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brooder thermostat  (Read 13095 times)
kmk75

« on: January 12, 2009, 08:53:37 PM »

Another question about my soon to be homemade brooder pen....is there a thermostat that I can use to shut on and off my heat lamp when the temp reaches it's desired temp?  And if so how do I use it to monitor the temp inside of the pen without actually mounting it inside?

I did search the forum but found most thermostat setups control baseboard heaters not heater lamps.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:30:38 PM »

Go to www.gqfMFG.com You can buy them there. Get someone familiar with electrial wiring to help you hook it up..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:31:27 AM »

Look here for a picture of what I think slider is talking about:

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_32&products_id=307

Quote from: kmk75
found most thermostat setups control baseboard heaters not heater lamps

I think you may have got your wires crossed?   ^-^   

As long as it is a line voltage (110volt) thermostat it should work. The wafer stat mentioned above is more "brooder" friendly in my opinion than any other thermostat out there, plus you won't beat the price. Baseboard heater stats have too much of a differential (temp drops too much before coming on). Plus, most HVAC stats will not go above 90*F.

Keep in mind that brooding temps can very/fluctuate more so than when incubating. The wafer stat is also used for incubating, so  there isn't hardly any differential and will adjust well above 100*F.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:44:42 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 06:54:35 AM »

Thats it !!!!!!   Always keep a couple on hand......

kmk75

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:41:46 PM »

So let me guess how this thing works. 
I will have to install this inside the brooder with a protective 1/2 x 1/2 mesh around it?  Splice the 2 wires from thermostat into my heat lamp's 2 wires and plug lamp into outlet?  This will cause the lamp's power to be interupted and shut of when desired temp is reached and turn on when temp falls short?

I am also guessing there is no thermostat number settings either?  Just have to keep a thermometer in the pen, monitor it and adjust the wing nut accordingly?
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »

That's pretty much the way they work.  They can be mounted higher, as long as you monitor the temperature at 1 " above the floor.  If you use wire floor, and allow an updraft, fluctuation can be wild, especially if you have only one door between the brooder and outside.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:57:04 PM »

Quote from: kmk75
Splice the 2 wires from thermostat into my heat lamp's 2 wires and plug lamp into outlet?

You want to break the hot (+) wire with the thermostat, not "the 2 wires".  :-|    If you're not familiar with A/C electricity, you'll need to find someone who is.

Here's a link to a dual thermostat setup. Again, one must be familiar with A/C electricity to decipher this diagram:

http://HTTP://www.gqfmfg.com/pdf/1202%20Wiring%20Diagram.pdf

Dig around on the right hand side of this page for more technical information:

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/front.asp#

You can also purchase the thermostats from them as "slider" previously mentioned.

s98
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:14:10 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 12:52:09 AM »

God, Chuck, I'm glad you caught that.  The complete thermostats come with instructions and diagrams, but someone might have ignored the instructions and done it wrong.......once.

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 01:23:04 AM »

I got it, but I was thinking about that Klingon woman !!!!!!! 0009

kmk75

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 02:09:48 PM »

Thanks again for all the help....Don't know what I will do yet, but I may get away with maybe a dimmer to regulate the temp.   Maybe I will even start with adult birds for the first time and see where it goes from there. 

Do I need to keep the enclosed portion of my grow out pen heated?  Or can the adult quails survive the harsh cold temps of about 25deg? 

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 02:31:23 PM »

25F isn't harsh for grown birds, even -25F  is survivable, as long as they aren't on open wire, all the time.  They probably won't even go into the sheltered portion, unless you have a light in there to attract them.

kmk75

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 05:59:01 PM »

I didn't think they would have a problem....I think I might just get 8 grown quail from a local farm and save the hassel and money raising them as chicks.   

Thanks again for everyone's help....I'll be starting my pen next month!  Hope to have the birds by March!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 11:17:51 PM »

.I think I might just get 8 grown quail from a local farm and save the hassel and money raising them as chicks.  

s98

Thanks again for everyone's help....I'll be starting my pen next month!  Hope to have the birds by March!

You're  s016.   Please send $19.95 to Charlies Forum Fees Inc. LLC.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »