Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:32:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Elevated Floor Flight Pen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elevated Floor Flight Pen  (Read 69717 times)
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« on: February 10, 2008, 05:00:02 PM »

Within this post you will find the basic stages of constructing an elevated floor flight pen.  There are many ways to build one, this is only one way.  All wood material is pressure treated, all nails, wire and metal is galvanized.

The first couple pictures show setting the posts and using the main floor joists to hold the posts on proper spacing as I went down the line.

The third picture is the basic framework completed.  Notice the basic roof boards have been added to hold the 4x4 posts in position, in addition to the floor joists.

The fourth picture shows the finished floor joists to be used in supporting the wire floor (1/2 x 1 16gauge galvanized after weld wire).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:52:35 PM by Bird Brained » Logged
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:04:07 PM »

First and second picture here shows the addition of the framework to support the enclosure end of the pen.  Also, the framwork added to the 4x4 posts to support the metal sight barrier material.

Third picture shows the addition of the wire flooring and the sight barrier.  Put the flooring on first so you have room to work around the perimeter of the pen.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:51:33 PM by Bird Brained » Logged
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 05:09:09 PM »

First and second picture shows the roof trusses added to support the metal roofing on the enclosure end of the pen and the addition of the plywood (could be metal) sides of the enclosure and the metal roofing itself.

The third picture shows the addition of hidding places down both sides of the inside of the pen.  This is important to have so birds can seperate themselves from others, provide additional shelter in bad weather, and be a hidding place when that predator flies over.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:54:00 PM by Bird Brained » Logged
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »

These last three pictures show the finished flight pen with netting, feeders, water system and most importantly....birds added.  The netting was stretched over the top and down the sides to provide a cushion when the birds fly into it.

Keep in mind,  I took approx 65 pictures during the construction but am only showing the main steps here to provide you with an example of what it takes to complete this type of project.  If you have any specific questions about a detail to completing one of these steps, let me know and I'll do my best to provide you the answer.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:55:02 PM by Bird Brained » Logged
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 05:31:31 PM »

Nice looking job, well done.   s87

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
brentsquailfarm

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »

I think that this topic needs a sticky.  s87

Don't forget to take a kid hunting or fishing.
komer

gamebird breeder wannabe

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 10:13:11 AM »

s98
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 10:25:03 AM »

Looks like the floor wire runs through to the back of the "house" part ? Did you end up with a front on it (enclosed) ?

Now that you have had Quail Puppies (where has John been lately ?) in it for some time, how is the ground under the pen ? Have you had to clean it out yet, or is the weather (rain etc) taking care of that ?

Any predator problems ?

Very nicely built pen ! Should last many, many years !
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 10:51:54 AM »

WELL DONE  s98.
What are the dimensions? The floor joists appear to be about 4' centers?

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
hunter3015

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 11:14:23 AM »

nice job now come build me 2......... s020

Bad day hunting is better then a good day at work.
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 06:08:23 PM »

Looks like the floor wire runs through to the back of the "house" part ? Did you end up with a front on it (enclosed) ?

Nope, it's as you see it.  They don't need a full enclosure unless you're using the one end as a brood building prior to releasing them into the flight.

how is the ground under the pen ? Have you had to clean it out yet, or is the weather (rain etc) taking care of that ?

Not a problem.  Mother nature takes care of breaking down the fertilizer (worms and rain).

Any predator problems ?

My pen area, about an acre, is fenced in with 6 strands of high tensile electric fencing...so not much predator problems....other than hawks that fly in.

What are the dimensions? The floor joists appear to be about 4' centers?

Floor support structure ended up being 3 ft x 4 ft squares.

nice job now come build me 2.........

Who should I address the quotation to?
Bull

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 01:08:04 PM »

Thanks for the posting on your flight pen.  How many birds are you going to put in the pen?  I am interested in housing chukar.  How big should I make it for 30 chukar?
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 03:32:26 PM »

Bull;

While "re-breaking" your balls on the other post, I noticed no one had answered you here, yet.  There are better authorities here, but I'd suggest 80-100 square feet, minimum, in wire floor.  I would also suggest even larger, in case you decide to raise more next year.  It's usually easier to build a large pen all at once, than to add on.  This is especially true if you have to rent equipment like hole auger.

Also, stick to common material dimensions to avoid excess cutting and trimming.  (12'X16', or 8'X24' is probably better than 10'X20', or 9'X22').  Buy the hardware cloth, poultry wire, and netting first, then buy lumber, poles, posts, cable, and such to complete the job.  There are now pneumatic staple guns that use the common T-50 Stanley staples.  These are a life saver, especially if you will be working alone, or your wife is helping.  You may have to go back and add hand driven staples, or lathe stripping, for strength once everything is in place.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 08:11:03 PM »

How big should I make it for 30 chukar?

That's a bit of a loaded question...it really dependant upon what you are going to eventually be doing with the birds (i.e. eat, breed, hold for a few weeks or hold for months as flight birds for dog training, grow-out chicks for any of the previous mentioned).
Bull

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 05:27:16 PM »

I am basically going to buy young birds, and wait until they are stong enough and mature enough to train my weimaraners.  I built some portable recall pens for a field I have permission to train on.  I also have a Johnny house on my property for recalling.  I do not plan on collecting eggs etc.  With my work schedule, it is easier for me to buy the young birds and give them a flight pen to condition them.  By the way, maybe I misinterpreted the other reply,(the ball breakin one) but I just found this site the day I first posted.  I do not spend much time on a computer so I didn't know about the rules on posting new stuff etc.  I am just looking for some good advice and this seemed like the place to get it.  I learned alot just reading all of the topics.  Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »