Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:52:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Individual State/Country Discussion
| | |-+  Idaho
| | | |-+  How many jacks to jills?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many jacks to jills?  (Read 5146 times)
tccox
« on: November 16, 2006, 11:04:46 PM »

I have about 2 doz pharaos I hatched out and I started getting eggs at 6 weeks and 2 days!! However, the boys started crowing and jumping on the girls a few days before that. I mean they REALLY started jumping on the girls like grabbing by head feathers and literally throwing them around!! I have since pulled 4 males out but the girls still have no feathers on top of heads!! I have noticed the males jump on each other the same way when tthey are in the pen by themselves. Talk about raging hormones!!

Anyway, what it a good ratio to boys to girls?? Thanks, Tom
Another question, how to tell the boys from girls if they don't crow?? Thanks, again, T
bgsbirds

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 01:33:14 AM »

You can put 3 to 4 hens with 1 male.Sex the males by the vent area , the males will have a ball , if you squeeze it some white  stuff will come out.And males are the only ones that call. You can have the extra males for dinner.As for as the hens featgers on their head growing back , they probably won't thats how the males mate them they.re always grabbing them by the head feathers  to hold on to them while they mate and alot of them will drag them around till the hens give in.Males will fight each other if you have too many  in the same cage with  the hens , its best to have one male with 3 or 4 hens or you can try 2 males with 5 or 6 hens. But they will fight each other for the hens.And if you have just males together they'll most likely fight each other.
JohnInDixon
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 10:14:58 AM »

Also with pharoahs you can usually tell the Roos from the hens by their "chest"  Roos will lose their black spots and get a redish brown chest where the hens keep the black spots.  Hope this helps.

John
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »