Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:53:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  candler(PIC)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: candler(PIC)  (Read 3491 times)
pamike
Expert Member

« on: May 26, 2006, 10:41:39 PM »

I built this candler a few days ago. I first tried a 250 heat lamp bulb but smoke poured out the hole, you could see everything through the eggs though. I switched to a 75 watt bulb and it still works great. You can even see through coturnix eggs. I made the hole 3/4" so I could use it for both quail and chicken eggs.

let me know what you think.

mike
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 10:45:33 PM by pamike » Logged
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 10:57:37 PM »

it works   you can even use a cardboard box, i use a candler that i got when i got my 1st incubator when i was 10 years old 28 years ago. and had to get a new light bulb this year, but yours dose work and i like your pic so every one can see
JohnInDixon
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 08:10:07 PM »

Thanks Mike!  Does anyone candle Buttons? Would this work with a smaller hole? 3/4" would swallow a button egg.
woodenegg
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 02:01:19 AM »

I use a 100 watt and haven't been able to see through button eggs.  I don't have the expensive setup, just a homemade one.  It can barely do pheasant, and marginal on cotrunix.  I have several cardboard masks that allow anything from quail to turkey and duck eggs.  You could try a smaller mask over the 3/4" hole. 
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 02:54:04 AM »

I just use a regular mini flash light. I candle them at around 2weeks. Throw away translucent eggs and keep the ones that have normal dark stuff. LOL   Saves me time and money from buying or building a candler. Ofcourse if you are the one to want to candle at 1 week, then build or buy a candler.

BTW, anyone own a High Intensity candler? Just curious how well they work. Are you able to see the chicks waving back at you? :laugh:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »