Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:45:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  WI license/permit info
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WI license/permit info  (Read 18507 times)
bondoron

Personal Text

« on: March 25, 2009, 09:30:23 PM »

I am going to start raising some quail and chukars for dog training. No one around the area offers adults for training. So I thought I would raise extras for the trainers. My question is I can't seem to find info if I need a permit to sell quail or Chukar in WI. Is there anyone out there that can steer me in the right direction? I did check the DNR site.

Ron
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:32:42 PM »

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=5403.0

I didn't read any of the info, but it may help ?
bondoron

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »

Thanks Reeves. I looked at that earlier. It covers the dog training permits. However the rest of it is for captive wild animals, and quail and chukars are not included in that. I can't find anything for gamebirds/poultry.

Ron
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:08:40 PM »

Call Fish and Feathers. They will be able to send you in the right direction.
bondoron

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 06:33:24 AM »

Call Fish and Feathers. They will be able to send you in the right direction.
Fish and Feathers?

Ron
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 08:30:57 AM »

Fish & Wildlife. Conservation officer. Gov. help line. Ag. help line.
Bill Woods

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 02:48:55 PM »

Reguarding to licensing for chukars and quail in WI:  Chuckars no - same as pheasant (been doing for many years in WI - DNR considers these the same as chickens now that the governing rule was taken over by Depart of Ag. However you can not release on own farm or dog training unless you get a DNR not Depart of Ag license.
However quail - you don't mention what type of quail, but if you are referring to Bobwhites - then most likely YOU will need a DNR Captive Gamefarm License ($50 or more to start and a farm/pen inspection along with record keeping. Now if you go to the WI DNR website and look under the Captive GF regs it not only gives you the details but if you look closely there is a "gray" area on definition of "non-native quail.
If you know anything about quail, there are species of California, etc. which are non-native to WI and no license required. However, on Bobs, if I last recall there is over 15 different subspecies like tyhe standard, the WI Jumbo, Georgia Giant, Tennesee Reds, etc., etc. - some of which are new cross breeds or non-native to WI.  As far as I am concerned,and I am not an authority or government agent, standard Bobs and the WI Jumbo's would be considered NATIVE to WI and would require a Captive Game farm license. Where Georgia Giants, Tennesee Reds, Mexican Spec., would be NON-NATIVE  and would reuire no license. Like I said its a gray, gray area. Ask one warden he/she says onething, ask another it's a different answer. Very similar from Depart of Ag on subjects they set rules on- its governemt at a laugh. I have had wardens argue until they were almost "blue" in the face over not being able to distinguish mallard-looking call (bantam) ducks versus real mallards.

In closing - know your local warden and the type of person they are (good or a #^%^%^&*&*). He/she would be the one accountable.  One thing YOU don't want to get into is Ruff Grouse (very hard to raise first of all) BUT the DNR DOES KEEP A CLOSE TAB ON THESE SO FARM-RAISED TYPES NEVER GET RELEASE TO THE WILD.

Now lets say you have your chuckars and quail - now the Department of Ag controls all gamefarm bird operations (the DNR permit only allows you to keep wildbirds - nothing to do with farm operations). Any bird over 4 months old is considered a breeding adult (unless raised strictly for slaughter and not resale) and must be blood-tested by a certified tester before taken to any swap, show, or re-sale and paperwork must be filled out and sent in within 10 days. (per state Statue). I am a cert. tester.  Bottomline - don't let me scare you. Its really not that bad - just don't get on that badside of DNR and Depart of Ag or you will have headaches for a long time. You will have enough just raising birds - good with the bad.  Just make sure your pens are big enough, covered with the right size netting, good shelters for our cold winters, and the bottom 30" of pen wire is at least 1"x1" 14 ga wire mesh. Lost several birds due to stray roaming dogs (owner 2 miles away) and wolves - "blowing through 17gu poultry 1" hex - and tearing up 24" high 1"x1") lower.

Good luck.

Bill
wpalmisano

Personal Text

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 12:44:29 AM »

I can tell you in Connecticut all those species, mallards, chukars, quail, any game bird, requires a state permit. It is also good for quadrapeds like coons, and such. The process is simple, no inspection, $42.00 per year, and some minor paperwork, less than 5 questions.  If you check the box for it, they will list you in the state gamebreeders directory for free. My point is only relevant in that I don't mind the state making sure people are not importing some sick diseased animal or something that could escape and screw with the eco-system.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »