Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:51:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  NPIP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NPIP  (Read 8408 times)
mobe_45
Expert Member

« on: February 05, 2009, 05:51:51 PM »

What do you do if you only raise 25-30 birds and want NPIP certification? To kill 30 birds to send in for certification would mean buying more birds (who have not been raised in my place) to raise after sending in your dead ones.
Do they offer an alternate way for the really small guys who just want to sell a few eggs?

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
cv
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 06:43:18 PM »

Did you get a chance to read any of this about NPIP in Iowa ?

Word pad Doc. and the html version

RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:06:50 PM »

Don't take my information to the book as I'm not in your state but you should have similar rules and guidelines as we do here in Virginia but less stringent due to our Avian "issues" the past few years.  The documents cv posted are nearly identical.  I think you may have the conception that you must submit your flock for testing and they will be killed for this test (if I'm understanding your post correctly).  What I do for NPIP testing here at my place and when I travel to other farms for testing their flock I do a simple blood test under the right wing.  The birds are then banded and released back into the flock.  For Avian Testing you must have that done in the lab.  For that here we can submit a series of eggs without having to test the bird itself.  Try finding an NPIP tester for your area and have them come out and test the birds for you.  Like I said I may be off the path entirely here.

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 03:53:43 AM »

Don't take my information to the book as I'm not in your state but you should have similar rules and guidelines as we do here in Virginia but less stringent due to our Avian "issues" the past few years.  The documents cv posted are nearly identical.  I think you may have the conception that you must submit your flock for testing and they will be killed for this test (if I'm understanding your post correctly).  What I do for NPIP testing here at my place and when I travel to other farms for testing their flock I do a simple blood test under the right wing.  The birds are then banded and released back into the flock.  For Avian Testing you must have that done in the lab.  For that here we can submit a series of eggs without having to test the bird itself.  Try finding an NPIP tester for your area and have them come out and test the birds for you.  Like I said I may be off the path entirely here.

Larry

Hey Larry,

I am in full agreement with you on the AI testing which is on a 90 day cycle being either a throat swab or vent swab, on 30 birds and then sent to the state lab, this year WV will accept the egg testing.

What I want to know from you is, since you do N.P.I.P. testing on other locations, with a simple blood test under the right wing, do you test the whole flock, or a percentage? Here in WV, if I have 2000 birds, they want to bleed all 2000 birds.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:18:47 AM »

No the state generally asks for 40 percent.  If you have two pens each with 20 birds I will test all birds.  If you have two pens that have 200 birds each I will test 60-80 in each pen.  If you only have a small number of birds in several pens then I will usually test all of them.  I can't imagine having to do all 2000 birds but I have spent all day long doing so in some places.  It's pretty much about what you feel should be tested and by looking at conditions, etc.  My certification is coming due again in mid March/April.  Do they charge you for the testing?

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 07:26:52 AM »

No the state generally asks for 40 percent.  If you have two pens each with 20 birds I will test all birds.  If you have two pens that have 200 birds each I will test 60-80 in each pen.  If you only have a small number of birds in several pens then I will usually test all of them.  I can't imagine having to do all 2000 birds but I have spent all day long doing so in some places.  It's pretty much about what you feel should be tested and by looking at conditions, etc.  My certification is coming due again in mid March/April.  Do they charge you for the testing?

Larry,

It use to be that they tested 75% of the flock, I can't understand why they want to do all the birds. WV doesn't have feelance testing agents nor do they allow this practice. The WVDA does all the testing and it is free. They don't even issue the bands when they are tested, nor do they require it. So I guess the universal standards of the N.P.I.P. testing isn't as well defined as stated as per Fed Regulations.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 02:05:19 PM »

Cv, Redoak and all the rest of you,
Thanks for the super information.
I had read somewhere that you had to send in birds to be killed for the testing. I'm glad you all cleared up that mistake.
my birds are just at the minimum age to be tested. So I will be looking for a tester in my area now.
Sometimes I'm totally lost on where to look for info. This site always gets me headed in the right direction s98

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »