Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:53:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Individual State/Country Discussion
| | |-+  Pennsylvania
| | | |-+  laws?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: laws?  (Read 19392 times)
chewchew
Expert Member

« on: October 03, 2007, 10:22:27 PM »

if im just raising some quail for a hobby,and maybe shoot at some do i need a permit? zoning laws? laws?

My Mom Is Going To Kill Me.. lol
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 11:03:46 AM »

what kind of quail? as long as you are not hatching any eggs or selling or trading any birds you don't need a permit here in pa to posses gamebirds.as for zoning laws you need to ask your township if they have any ordinance against poultry husbandry.but if you just have a small amount of birds then i wouldn't worry about it.and if your quail are bobs you can only shoot them when they are in season.

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 12:23:49 AM »

i have bobs... i hatched them myself.. i have 38, well 37, one is runing around town i cant get hem back. lol. i have a 8x8x16 flight pen. im not selling.. just hobby, and some fun with my doge. were in pa are you from?
thanks
sam

sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 07:48:49 PM »

I am in 84 pa just south west of pittsburgh.you can posess a bobwhite in pa but you have to have a reciept with a pa prp permit number incase the game commission asks you where you got them.but you are not aloud to hatch any gamebird that has a season in pa without a permit.

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 05:47:05 AM »

I am in 84 pa just south west of pittsburgh.you can posess a bobwhite in pa but you have to have a reciept with a pa prp permit number incase the game commission asks you where you got them.but you are not aloud to hatch any gamebird that has a season in pa without a permit.

So what you are saying is, chewchew is screwed! He doesn't have any paperwork for the bobs, and hatched them from eggs.

What kind of fine will he/would he get if the PA Game Commission gets to see him? Will they also be confiscated and be considered as contraban? Will he have to take any pens down that were made?

This is another reason why I can't understand how people can be so blind or ignorant on seeking the answers about raising game birds from their own state DNR or DEC, or Game Commissions.

Since the United States of America has a hunting season on some form of game bird or game animal raising these would require the proper permits, whether the permits are free or a some cost, along with some form of state rules and regulations on the harboring(pen/brooder size, square foot per bird etc.) purchasing (import/export) releasing, propagation and dog training/trials.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 05:50:29 AM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 09:23:57 AM »

no he's not really screwed.if he wants to keep raising them he can call his local officer and have him inspect his flight pen.he will have to get a letter from his township that they have no problem or ordinances against it.the permits are 25 for 1 species and 10 for each after that.the fines vary by what all they charge you with.but usually if you are applying for a permit they will not ask where he got em from.if they do just say he lost his receipt for those birds.but don't tell them you hatched them.now if these were Tennessee reds or chukars nothing is needed and you can hatch all you want to.

Lenny
Sugar Run Gamebirds

chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 11:12:10 PM »

ooo boy...

maplesummitgamebirds

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 12:16:02 PM »

chewchew,
When I started raising birds the game commission told me I do not need a permit for anything unless I am selling or giving away birds. If I hatched/raised my own birds it was fine. It's the same as with chickens if you hatch chicken eggs just to have chickens around you don't need anything, it only applies if you are selling/giving away/trading. They are considered pets and the only thing you need to be aware of is local ordinances prohibiting aviary pens/raising birds outside. I would say that for the amount of birds you are raising I wouldn't worry about anything. Good luck.

Bryan
Maple Summit Game Birds

Mongolian & Blue Back Pheasants, Quail, Chucker
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 07:16:44 PM »

bryan they changed the law on hatching gamebirds.now you have to have a prp # to hatch any gamebird.now other quail or chukar your fine.but the game code states that only people with prp# are aloud to hatch gamebirds in pa.bobs and ring neck pheasants.

maplesummitgamebirds

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 08:58:53 PM »

hmmmm. Good to know. I've had my propagation permit for a while now and just don't keep up on the law's if I didn't have one. Thanks for the update.

Mongolian & Blue Back Pheasants, Quail, Chucker
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 05:26:19 AM »

Ty.. but i only have 4 left now...

thank you all for you help

GSP4

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 12:05:04 AM »

bryan they changed the law on hatching gamebirds.now you have to have a prp # to hatch any gamebird.now other quail or chukar your fine.but the game code states that only people with prp# are aloud to hatch gamebirds in pa.bobs and ring neck pheasants.

Update on Pa. gamebird law when I called the middle of May 2008 they told me you can own gamebirds and hatch eggs for your own use without a permit, you only need the permit if you want to sell, give them away or release.  you do have to check zoning laws
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:40:36 AM by GSP4 » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »