Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:40:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  feed cost
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: feed cost  (Read 6493 times)
WHITNEYPLU
« on: July 28, 2007, 01:28:57 PM »

Just curious to what people are paying right now per ton of layer and starter/grower?
Right now buying it per ton at the feed mill is costing me 330 for layer and 340 for starter/grower.
With all new hatching and the chicks taking over I use about 200 pounds of starter per day. With the adults I am using about 250 pounds of layer per day. So the tons are adding up quiet a bit and the price is soaring even faster even with the harvest of feed products starting to boom.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 04:38:08 PM »

Just curious to what people are paying right now per ton of layer and starter/grower?
Right now buying it per ton at the feed mill is costing me 330 for layer and 340 for starter/grower.
With all new hatching and the chicks taking over I use about 200 pounds of starter per day. With the adults I am using about 250 pounds of layer per day. So the tons are adding up quiet a bit and the price is soaring even faster even with the harvest of feed products starting to boom.

I have no idea, I've never bought feed by the ton.  I've got so much dog-gone money, I don't care what it cost anyway.   8)  I could set and figure it up.........let me see  2000# divided by 50= 40.  40x $13= $520

:eek:   At $520/ton where I'm at.......you're gettin' a humungous bargain!!!  :eek:

Better get all that you can get!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 04:49:15 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 10:02:01 AM »

>Dusty's wife<  Thanks so much for all your input.. Man I love this helpful site.. lol

Actually, Miss Becky, there were several feed cost threads going about the same time as this one (including the other one, to which you replied, yesterday).  I remember replying to at least one, and it wasn't either of these.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
maplesummitgamebirds

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 12:11:26 PM »

I am paying $354/ton for layer, but it is bagged. If I was able to buy in bulk I would pay $285/ton but they require a 3 ton min and I only use 2 the entire year.

Mongolian & Blue Back Pheasants, Quail, Chucker
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 02:51:43 PM »

we're paying 380/ton right now for grower. and 395/ton for starter. if i remember right in april the price was 350 and 370. and it is just gonna get worse from what i'm told.

Lenny

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 03:42:01 PM »

Starter for us was between 275-290 this year. Grower 1 was somewhere around 265 that is 24%. Grower 2 is 245 that is 21%  and maintenence is somewhere around 230 and that is 17%.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Quality bobwhite quail, chukar partridge and pheasants (started and mature.)
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 01:25:16 AM »

Starter for us was between 275-290 this year. Grower 1 was somewhere around 265 that is 24%. Grower 2 is 245 that is 21%  and maintenance is somewhere around 230 and that is 17%.

To get these prices, are you buying a complete truck load, each time?  I'd have to pay a delivery fee for 18 tons, no matter how much I buy (3 ton minimum purchase).  I just can't feed it that fast with my capacity.

WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 01:33:57 AM »

We do not have a silo so we have to buy it bagged from the feed mill at a per ton charge which knocks off a 1.00 to 1.50 per bag cost and then store it in the barn. Next year we hope to add a few silos and hopefully a feed grinder so we can buy bulk corn, millo and maze and grind up some of our own feed. Depends on how well this year goes as we have been selling locally and this year will be the first year we have sold over the net.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 01:53:43 AM »

Next year we hope to add a few silos and hopefully a feed grinder so we can buy bulk corn, millo and maze and grind up some of our own feed.

You may find it more feasible to buy a relatively cheap, low protein processed feed, then grind in soybean meal to raise the protein level to where you want it, and also add a vitamin/mineral premix, and BMD50, or other medication, if desired.  Adding these is easier if you mix them into 4 or 5 bags of feed, then into the total quantity.

quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 10:52:51 AM »

No I am not getting a full truckload at this time. I get around 4-5 tons at a time. That seems to last me around 2-3 weeks at a time.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Quality bobwhite quail, chukar partridge and pheasants (started and mature.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »