Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:07:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  The rising cost of feed!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The rising cost of feed!  (Read 141890 times)
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2007, 09:08:29 AM »

No problem, its definitly a mouthful of ingredients.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Quality bobwhite quail, chukar partridge and pheasants (started and mature.)
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2007, 09:38:25 PM »

Feed is up between $3-4 a ton again this week for the 3rd week in a row. I dont see it going down again for a little while. Corn and Soybeans were up again this week.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2008, 01:38:39 PM »

Since its the new year what is everyone paying for feed now? Still looks like we arent at the ceiling and it will be going up more.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2008, 03:38:20 PM »

$334 per ton ($16.70 per hundred) for 20%, medicated and bagged.  The last starter I bought (30%) was $369 per ton, I hate to think what it may cost this spring! 

I keep hoping the higher cost of feed will entice smaller land owners to plant grains, again.

In the mean time, the futures market is a good hedge.  If prices go up, that will balance your losses, somewhat.  If they go down, hopefully the feed prices will follow.

I just called one local supplier, unmedicated starter is now $19.25 per hundred ($385 per ton) in small quantities, so we may not be hurting too bad, yet.  I can usually beat their unmedicated price with medicated feed by buying 2-3 tons at a time.

One fellow out here is supplementing, or cutting, his prepared grower feed with chicken scratch grains to cut costs, but I'm afraid that might rob them of nutrients, especially vitamin/mineral premix.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2008, 04:11:19 PM »

I keep hoping the higher cost of feed will entice smaller land owners to plant grains, again.

:grin:

I'm workin' on it!   As long as my 1962 MF #39 2 row planter, 1959 moldboard plows, 1972 Ford Disc, 19?? Ferguson cultivator, and my1957 Ford 860 tractor works, I'll be in business!   :cool:   I'm still in the market for a one row picker and gravity wagon.

Big problem with "small" farmers, is that alot of the older farm machinery is headed to China as scrap steel, it's a dirty shame, that good old machinery will be gone forever. Meanwhile, most farm machinery nowadays is built for the big boys and takes up half of my property just to park it, plus it won't run in these here hills that I live in.  s47

Last 100# of corn that I bought here in Ohio was almost $12!!   Was $6 just a little over a year ago!

I'm not against some sort of alternative fuel source, but in the same breath these so called experts will say that if all the crop land in the US was used just for auto fuel alone, that it couldn't run this country for one day at the rate that oil is being consumed.  So it's a bunch of BS and you know who is paying for it.  "RANT"
 c109
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 04:19:47 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2008, 04:10:27 AM »

I will find out the new price when I order next week.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2008, 01:49:46 PM »

Hi,
Does anyone feed their birds Blue Seal feeds? Thats the brand of feed i use.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008, 08:16:20 AM »

Whole corn costs me as of this week $ 9.54 a hundred.  A premier wild bird feed with the small black sunflower, cracked corn, millet and several others is $11.00 a hundred. I also feed cat kibble and canned cat food to some birds , they clean it right up. All birds get greens from the grocery store, I pick it up now once a week, as long as I pick it up they will save it for me, I also buy sqash and other stuff at the same store for the birds.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
cancan

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2008, 06:30:53 PM »

Paid 360 a ton yesterday for 20 percent protien grower non medicated. Hubbard feed.

todays might oak is just yesterdays nut that held his ground.
Bagaria Quail Farm
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2008, 11:49:10 AM »

:angel: The rising cost of food has gone up in the quail business also. It has jumped to a $1.00 in the last month. Right now we are absorbing the increase but since it looks like it is going to keep going up the price of the quail will have to go up this year. Unfornately it is not something we like to do but have to do from time to time. Betty
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2008, 05:36:35 PM »

You are talking  $1 a bag correct? We are looking at $23 a ton in the last month.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Bagaria Quail Farm
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2008, 06:25:03 PM »

well $23.00 a ton isnt bad i would be paying $40.00 a ton if bought by bag like we have to do because we are small farm  but we will be bigger in time then ill put up a silo so i will only be paying $23.00 a ton then instead of $40.00a ton like all other business we all will have to pass along incress to customers just so all of us quail farms can stay in business customers will have to pay it or they wont have any quail to hunt im lucky i guess i have very good customers i told them prices will go up because of feed electric prices are up and i must go up on prices or quit they said prices will just have to go up because they like my birds and would like to see me stay in business  have a good day everyone.                       ihope yalls customers are like mine. Betty
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2008, 06:43:37 PM »

Betty

s016

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2008, 07:22:17 PM »

Well that $23 a ton put us up to around $310 a ton. Last year at this time it was somewhere around $220

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Bagaria Quail Farm
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2008, 03:15:13 PM »

:x Well just went to get feed today and the crap went up another .75 per bag. It is a shame ato   prices just to try to make a living off quail farming. It is to bad the little critters can't feed themselves. j1
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »