Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 02:45:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  The rising cost of feed!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The rising cost of feed!  (Read 142175 times)
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »

Steve, I am not feeding bird dogs..they are another breed.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2008, 12:46:13 PM »

seems to darken their stools considerably. Not black, but a real chestnut brown.

That's nice to know Pheasant Hollow......... :-o........some information we could do without.   You need more to do, to occupy your time.

^-^

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2008, 01:27:52 PM »

seems to darken their stools considerably. Not black, but a real chestnut brown.

That's nice to know Pheasant Hollow......... :-o........some information we could do without.   You need more to do, to occupy your time.

^-^

A dark change in stool color could indicate bleeding. Giving the dog one type of dry dog food light in color, then changing over to a darker color base will usually the change in color. Not necessitating bleeding though.

Some people rush their dogs to the vet when they notice change in stool color after changing the food.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2008, 03:05:14 PM »

::)

LOL!  I understand.   I couldn't tell anything about my dogs, they've been eatin' a dead horse, deer, moles and everything else.  :-|   They've been trained to do their business in the woods, so I rarely come across any samples to inspect. And I would guess that they are a different color every day. The golden retriever used to eat the gravel right out of the driveway, no tellin' what how that came out?  LOL!

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2008, 05:40:02 PM »

Well lordy lordy lordy, my feed bill went down $10.00 a ton.. But the price of the Country Value Dog food in the blue bag went up to $21.75 per 50lbs.

I was paying last year, 07, $10.45 per 50lb. and this last past June, 08 $17.50. for 50lbs.

I am beginning to think it is cheaper to keep the wife and dump the dogs. s020 s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »

$17.50. for 50lbs.

$17.05/ 50# here the other day for laying mash for the chickens. About the same for goat feed too.

My wife normally gets the dog food for our 110# Golden Retriever  :-o and the terrier, but the other day she had me stop to get some..........I 'bout flipped!!   It's been about 8 years since I last bought any and I was in total disbelief, I thought something was wrong with the prices on the shelves. I'm thinkin' they may have to start eating grass, or they may just end up eating venison year round after I kill all of the deer around here. 

That's it!!   I plant corn crop......deer destroy/eat crop......I destroy deer.......walla.....dog food!!  That's how I can get my corn back and not go in the hole!  Never thought that I could feed the dogs with the corn I planted!   ^-^

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:56:40 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2008, 09:43:07 AM »

$17.50. for 50lbs.

$17.05/ 50# here the other day for laying mash for the chickens. About the same for goat feed too.

My wife normally gets the dog food for our 110# Golden Retriever  :-o and the terrier, but the other day she had me stop to get some..........I 'bout flipped!!   It's been about 8 years since I last bought any and I was in total disbelief, I thought something was wrong with the prices on the shelves. I'm thinkin' they may have to start eating grass, or they may just end up eating venison year round after I kill all of the deer around here. 

That's it!!   I plant corn crop......deer destroy/eat crop......I destroy deer.......walla.....dog food!!  That's how I can get my corn back and not go in the hole!  Never thought that I could feed the dogs with the corn I planted!   ^-^

CharlieHorse,

Ya know........ ya just might have a plan there. The deer ate 85% of all the seed heads of the Milo and now they have started to cut the Sorghum midway to get to the seed heads on them as well.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2008, 11:54:41 AM »

28.00$ today for a 40lb bag of Diamond Adult. s53 s53 s53 s53 s53

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2008, 10:27:04 AM »

It's quite simple really.........

c110                                   a29      =         a38

Then again...................the running and purchase of addition freezers to store it all in, would more than likely outweigh the cost of the dog food for the next 10-15 years?   :-|  Plus all the time and money spent doing all of it, I'd rather set in a chair. Then I'd start phasing out dogs by attrition, but I'd have to always have one.

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2008, 07:20:54 AM »

ALWAYS.. j11 j15 j18 j32

birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2008, 03:46:23 PM »

but depending on how many deer they let you take per year you could feed yourself also. if not you would end up on the wrong side of the law and depending on how you worked it  you could end up with a lot of publicity that could lead to book deals and possibly movie rights then the cost of the feed would not make a difference you could even hire someone else to feed the dogs.  s020

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2008, 05:56:57 AM »

but depending on how many deer they let you take per year you could feed yourself also. if not you would end up on the wrong side of the law and depending on how you worked it  you could end up with a lot of publicity that could lead to book deals and possibly movie rights then the cost of the feed would not make a difference you could even hire someone else to feed the dogs.  s020

birddog,

WV has one hell of a liberal deer season. Last year, the count was 5 doe an two antlered deer. If you have a farm, you can also get a destruction permit, which they hand out during the summer.

Feeding a family and dogs for a year isn't the problem, storing it is.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2008, 01:26:15 PM »

3 Bucks and 3 Does here in Louisiana. I will usually kill 2 for me and 1 that I split up with other family members who do not hunt...Mom,sisters and dead heads.... s020 c181

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2008, 03:59:26 PM »

3 Bucks and 3 Does here in Louisiana. I will usually kill 2 for me and 1 that I split up with other family members who do not hunt...Mom,sisters and dead heads.... s020 c181

Nothing wrong with dead heads j2

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2008, 10:46:08 PM »

wow.. only one per year here. unless you draw a bonus permit witch are very hard to come by then you are allowed to take 2.  landowner permits can be had but only under extreme circumstances

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »