Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 08:35:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  How to debeak quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to debeak quail  (Read 10204 times)
nec500
« on: May 04, 2004, 09:16:05 PM »

What can you use to debeak a bobwhite quail? What are the step in doing this? How old do they have to be? Also what about cutting the nails, should  I? If so how? Thanks
Fishin 1
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 11:43:35 PM »

I use what is called a Creative Woodburner, sold at Wal-Mart for about 10 bucks. It plugs into a wall outlet and heats up to 950 degrees. It is used for engraving wood. Hold quails head firmly, open beak with thumb and forefinger, burn about 1/3 of top beak only. I debeak at about 4 weeks old. Watch those fingertips. OUCH!!! This works good for me. I do this by myself, but you may want to get someone to help you hold the quail until you get the hang of this. Don't know about the nails.
I hope this helps.
Fishin 1
BEDPAN

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 05:12:41 AM »

Good morning.  If the birds are young, I like to use a regular fingernail clipper (a larger size one, maybe those are for toenails) and you can also do their nails as well.  Just make sure you son't cut down to the bloodline.  Actually it's all very quick and easy.  For full grown quail, we use bull nose plyers on the beak and the toenails.  But remember, DON"T cut the bottom beak.
Don McGowan
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 06:30:11 AM »

I use toenail clippers also, just take the tip off the top beak
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 07:39:20 AM »

We used the wood burner also. It did take the two of us to hold and burn the beak. As for the toenails we have not had a problem with that as of yet.
It was a stinky process and I want to try the toe nail clippers when we set out this new batch of quail. :lol:

Five Hollers Quail Farm
nec500
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 04:29:15 PM »

After I debeak the quail at 4weeks old, how much longer till i have to dbeak them again?Also where is the best place to by medication and prevention medicine? Thanks
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »