Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2024, 01:12:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Individual State/Country Discussion
| | |-+  Wisconsin
| | | |-+  WI Regulations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WI Regulations  (Read 4797 times)
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Karma: 27
Offline Offline

Posts: 250

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« on: April 18, 2009, 10:23:35 PM »

I've been discussing reg's with a fellow forum member and thought I would post a few things to help others.  This is what I was able to get from WisDNR and the Dept of Ag but talk to your local DNR and use this info as a beginning point.

To raise non-native gamebirds in WI such as Chukar and Pheasant you need:

If you are raising birds for your own use and are not selling or propogating:

1.) A Livestock Premises Permit - this is free of charge and is basically a registration for the state that you have some sort of livestock on your property.  I think they told me that they may inspect your pens and property every 3 years.  This can be obtained over the phone, (608) 224-4886, simply by calling the Dept of Ag in Madison

If you are raising gamebirds for selling from eggs purchased elsewhere:

1.) The Livestock Premises permit stated above is needed
2.) Your eggs must be purchased from an NPIP source and a paper trail is needed with the suppliers NPIP
certification number and VS 9-3 report
3.) An NPIP Affiliate license must be obtained depending on your situation.  Inspection of your property may occur once a year.

If you are raising gamebirds for selling and breeding and hatching your own eggs:

1.) Everything stated above
2.) Testing of your flock is required. I think 10% of your flock must be tested and pass.
3.) Classes are offered in the spring across the state to become certified to do the testing yourself for $25.

As stated above, talk to your local authorities, but this is the jist of what I was able to learn.  Good Luck!

Also, with regards to using the dog training permit on public set aside lands.  Any birds released and used for dog training on public lands must be NPIP certified birds.


Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!