Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:50:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  GSP Allergic Reaction to Food?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GSP Allergic Reaction to Food?  (Read 6252 times)
isda
« on: August 24, 2004, 10:01:41 AM »

Hello, my 1.5 yr old GSP has a rash on his chest and an area that he chews on his rear end, any ideas what could be causing it?

At first I was thinking an allergic reaction to his food.  I recently changed him from nutro large breed puppy to large breed adult.  I didn't notice any ingredient changes so I'm thinking that's probably not the cause.  I switched him to another food yesterday, California Natural, just to make sure that's not the cause.

He gets regular baths and Advantage takes care of the flees.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Guess I'll have to break down and make a trip to the Vet!

-Rich

http://www.jordanas.com
chizekfarm
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 09:36:52 PM »

he might be allergic to grass.  years ago my friend had a dog that was losing  hair  and took it to the vet and said is allergic to grass. had to do shots or pills, i cant remeber.   good luck
birdinwithblue
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 10:05:21 PM »

dose he lay and set on concrete alot . i had to move mine off of the concrete . he was getting sores on his belly and rear . took him to the vet and he had concrete poison . moved the pen and he got better .
isda
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 11:33:17 PM »

Thanks for the responses.  

He does go to the dog park 1-2 times a day, there's a huge grass field that he rolls around in for atleast an hour.  Although, he's been doing this since he was a pup so either it's an adult onset alergic reaction to grass or maybe something to do with the time of the year, or possibly something else.

I didn't even think about the concrete, he just got transferred to the driveway.  I built a fence and he's stuck out there most of the day.  Although, he does have a bed that's raised off the floor but he still lays out on the driveway a lot.  I'll ask the vet if there's any way to test for concrete poison.

On a side note, he sure does love that California Natural dog food, I've never seen him chow down on food like he does now.

Thanks again.
-Rich
isda
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 10:24:44 AM »

It must have been the food, after a few weeks of California Natural, his rash is gone and he's bulked up nicely.
casnyder
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 07:42:08 PM »

Glad to hear it.  Might have been a wheat allergy, as the symptoms are not out of line with that, and wheat isn't uncommon in dogfoods.  If you're forced to change dogfoods again, keep a close eye on the label.
Rebdog338
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 10:05:33 PM »

If it is food allergies Hills vet. z/d allergy diet is an econmical solution. your local vet sould be able to provide it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »