Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:16:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Dealt a mixed hand over the weekend...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dealt a mixed hand over the weekend...  (Read 6152 times)
Redhorse
Expert Member

« on: March 17, 2008, 09:35:51 AM »

The OHMC (Ohio Huskie Muskie Club) had it's annual awards banquet Saturday evening. As 1st VP, I have some responsibility in planning and running this event. Our banquet went well, food was great, and a good time was had by all. However I was dealt a mixed hand. Though the banquet was a success...I came home to find my hunting companion of 7 1/2 yrs had passed away Saturday night. She was in great health and energetic Saturday morning before we left, Sunday when we returned she was gone. Gemstone was a German Shorthair Pointer, whose sire also died unexpectedly at an early age. She got to hunt for grouse once this year with no success, and had the opportunity to retrieve a few geese during the waterfowl season. I really wish I could have given her a few more birds...she will be missed.

Gemstone backing up Rusty on a Quail about 3 yrs ago.

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 12:13:26 PM »

Sorry to hear about his Redhorse. Do you have any idea of cause?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
DoubleL911
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 06:14:59 PM »

Sorry buddy ;
Another good companion will be missed.
Larry Lain
www.doublelquailfarms.com
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 06:41:28 PM »

Sorry to hear. Deepest condolences. s49
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:30:31 AM »

Thanks for the kind words from everyone.

Steve...her sire passed away suddenly at a young age also, I believe he was around 9. She was a carbon copy of him in size and color, probably 1/3 larger in height and body weight than all the males that came from her litter. Any genetic problems would have certainly been passed along to her. Leads me to believe there may have been a heart problem. She was stretched out in her box, not curled up at all. I have to think she died from a bad ticker.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 10:41:12 AM »

Thanks for the kind words from everyone.

Steve...her sire passed away suddenly at a young age also, I believe he was around 9. She was a carbon copy of him in size and color, probably 1/3 larger in height and body weight than all the males that came from her litter. Any genetic problems would have certainly been passed along to her. Leads me to believe there may have been a heart problem. She was stretched out in her box, not curled up at all. I have to think she died from a bad ticker.

Redhorse,

Again, I am sorry about the dog. I have 2 GSP that are over 11 years old. the male can't walk anymore and the female has had 2 cancer operations within the last two years. It is really going to be hard having to put them down when the time comes.

The female is so smart, you can give her something and tell here to take in the house and give it to mommy,(my wife) and she does just that. I send her to the house for something to drink, and she will get me a bottle of seltzer.

The other 3 dogs, well they wouldn't bother giving me the time of day, unless we went out bird hunting.

Every dog that I have had since moving to WV that had passed, have been buried here om my property with a marker.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:35:29 PM »

This is the first one I have lost since buying this property 11 yrs ago. She is buried under a hemlock tree I planted out there some time back. She chased more than one rabbit around that tree when I let her run in the yard.

I'm thinking about a Wirehaired Pointer, or a Drathaar... we'll see. I'm sure I'll have a new pup by Fall.

Equismith

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 03:55:19 PM »

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Bud

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »