Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:41:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  FEED
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: FEED  (Read 6892 times)
CHARLIE

« on: September 05, 2004, 02:50:27 PM »

LAST WEEK WE WERE TALKING ABOUT GRINDING FEED FOR OUR QUAIL CHICKS ,, WELL I DID AND I FEED PURINA STARTENA (GAMEBIRD) SAT. MY PURINA DEALER WAS OUT OF IT SO I BOUGHT A BAG OF GAMEBIRD STARTED FROM SOUTHERN STATES,ITS A LOT SMALLER CRUMBLE THAN THE PURINA, AND THE CHICKS HAVE NO PROBLEM EATING IT AS IS. MY PURINA STARTER IS AS BIG OF A CRUMBLE AS THE BREEDER FEED, MAY JUST SWITCH TO S.S. ALL TOGETHER.
                  CHARLIE
                    BACKYARD GAMEBIRD FARM
                       DELAWARE

WAS A ADVANCED MEMBER IN THE OLD FORUM
Sterling-Ranch

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 03:24:38 PM »

I only buy Purine because I get those buy 2 get 1 free coupons.  Otherwise they are too overpriced.
Pocoman

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 05:42:40 PM »

Does Southern states have BMD in it as starteena does?
Terry
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 08:54:11 PM »

We've used Southern States for the past 15 years until we started buying by the ton in pellet form. The Starter has BMD in it (or atleast it did have when I bought it last).  If you have a mill close by try using pellet form.  The birds eat it just fine and itr seems like it lasts alot longer too.

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004, 10:15:02 PM »

RedOak, when you speak of "pellets", are you talking pellets like in rabbit feed?   If you are....wouldn't that be almost impossible for newborns to eat or is their enough small stuff in it? Or do they just peck it to pieces?

Just wondering.

delet

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 10:23:07 PM »

.....so there is a difference in the size of crumbles between brands, huh?  The only thing that is availible to me in stock around here is Dumor brand, Tractor Supply keeps it in stock and I haven't seemed to have any problems with it other than I think that it is too big for newborns, otherwise I would have to order from the one and only feed store for 50 miles. Maybe delete isn't so dog gone smart after all, huh?   :lol:  He may be right, depending on what brand he's talking about?  Don't pay any attention to me though.....after all, I've been known to grind a little gamebird feed here and there, so therefore I obviously don't know anything.    :wink:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 09:41:35 AM »

We purchase our feed in pellets now which resemble rabbit feed.  You cant feed it to the newly hatched quail because of the size or the protein in it.  We use a diferent mixture and add more oil to it so it breaks up very fine when the birds peck at it.   They dont waste it as much as the crumbles for some reason.  You can make starter feed in pellets and crumble it yourself but it probably wouldnt be cost effective if you make it by the ton.  The advantage of making your own is that you can add or take out vitamins and minerals to suit your needs.  With the rising prices of feed its almost impossible to stick to just one kind of feed.  When you buy your feed in this form you may be able to save hundreds of dollars per year if you can use it within a reasonable amount of time.  Depending on your location the price can be as little as $7.00 per 100# bag.  If youre interested in buying your feed in quantity I have a good mixture weve been using for the past few years that works great.  With some feeds the mixture is rationed so your birds eat more and seem like they dont gain any weight or cant get enough food especially during the winter months.  

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »