Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:10:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Flight pen cover
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flight pen cover  (Read 3386 times)
Buckbriar
« on: August 31, 2004, 10:45:38 AM »

Hi All,

Just finished my fly pen (100"x20" by 10" high) and am wondering how much cover I need to provide to keep birds dry.  As of yet, I don't have a way fixed to allow them back into the barn from the fly pen.  What I have done is make two plywood leantoos that the birds can get under if it rains.

Thanks in advance for advice.
theweave

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 04:13:36 PM »

You are going to find that they won't use them for the most part.  I myself use plywood, but I call them "bird condos".
Place four concrete blocks on the ground, holes to the ground and place 4x8 sheet of plywood on top.  Place four more blocks on top of that and another sheet of plywood with two anchoring blocks on top.  Birds will crawl under, over and through and you will notice they will perch on top to look out the pen and look over their territory.  I would suggest soaking the plywood in old motor oil as to stop rot and deter them from picking at it as well.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 08:14:21 AM »

I agree with "theweave"........"You are going to find that they won't use them for the most part". I've never seen mine stay under roof.

I found that a bunch of grape vines, like the mess you'll find in the top of a tree that has fell down (because the grape vines killed it) works really well. It will stand up and doesn't tend to "smash" down like sticks and such. You can put some sort of roof over a pile of brush to create a dry place. The only problems I've had with a "brush pile" is collecting eggs and catching the birds, but they do like the brush and that's where mine build their nests and lay eggs. I also have a couple used christmas trees that they like to hang out under, I just dug a post hole and set the tree trunk right down in there as if I planted it, looks real and it will keep it's needles longer if it is buried. I have a "Scotch Pine" that still has it's needles...(even though they are brown) since last december.

You may just put some brush around or in the leanto's that you have.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Buckbriar
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 10:08:57 PM »

Thanks alot for the info.  I'm going to use cedar trees to provide cover since they are everywhere on my farm.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »