Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2022, 06:32:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42418 Posts in 6015 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Releasing Bobwhite Quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Releasing Bobwhite Quail  (Read 2348 times)
stanell
« on: August 17, 2004, 03:12:08 PM »

I am about to release approx 25 BW Quail into an over grown farm in southeastern Pennsylvania... Does any on have any tips on successfully releasing them and keeping them alive  and a "chance"????  Should I place feed where I released them etc???? :?:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 08:03:43 PM »

How old are your birds?  I release mine at 5 weeks of age. I have put food out for them at the same time that I release them, but they don't seem to bother with it. I have always just took them out and let them come out of the box/cage on their own. If you use "open" cages, be sure to cover it (blanket/sheet) with something to keep them calm. I do this in early morning so the have a full day of checking out their new stomping grounds, but I do not leave the boxes out, I will pick them up soon after they have left it. At first I thought that putting food out or feeders to help them, but during the summer months there is plenty for them to eat around here. Plus, I have quite a bit of ground planted with various food plots. I figured that if I fed them, then they would rely on human interaction for survival, therefore they would never truly be "wild". I have had great success doing it this way, but I'm sure that winter will tell the story. I still run across a covey here and there on my ATV and I'm positive they were the ones that I released, I haven't seen a quail around here for over 20 years, prior to me releasing some.

Look on the other pages in this forum, including "General Discussion", you'll find where this subject has been talked about many times.

Actually I have never released any quail.......they accidentally got away from me................ :wink:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »