Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:04:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  bobwhite breeding
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: bobwhite breeding  (Read 3717 times)
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« on: August 11, 2004, 06:14:47 PM »

I've been raising/selling pheasants for a number of years now, and now I'm planning on raising/selling Bobwhites starting next spring. I currently have 150 in the brooder, and plan on keeping 60 or so hens for breeders. My question is do Bobwhites do ok colony breeding, or do I have to pair them off into individual breeder cages? If colony breeding is ok, what is the recommended male to female ratio.

Also, next year I'm gonna be getting some Tennessee Reds for the same purpose. Are they kept the same way as Bobs for breeding?

Thanks for any info!!!

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
derk1

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 07:54:15 PM »

Bobwhites do fine colony breeding. I run my colonies 3 females to 1 male. I will have up to 250 hens in a pen this way but that depends upon the size of the pen.
I dont raise Tenn. reds so I cannot answer that.
IamTomm
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 09:05:25 PM »

Tennesse reds are a bobwhite. So you treat them just like regular  bobs. Only differnce between them is color.
birdman182
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 04:04:37 PM »

people say that you should not raise tennesse red with other quail in the same pen too but mine dont hurt the other quail in the winter
IamTomm
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 04:32:10 PM »

I have heard that reds are more aggesive also but I have never had that happen when I put them together for the winter with the others.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »