Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:37:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Newest Aviary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newest Aviary  (Read 29748 times)
Jeff

Personal Text

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 01:27:52 AM »

Looks good!

I am sorta modeling my aviary after yours in a way.  Mine won't be a quail Hilton like yours, but should be fine.  If you want, come to Oklahoma and do some building for me!

Jeff
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 01:09:17 PM »

They want let him into the USA..... n1

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 06:17:11 PM »

They want let him into the USA..... n1

Wanna bet ?   :grin:

Opps !

You may be right  dk2

Just noticed my way expired pass port sitting on the desk.....
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:27:39 AM by Reeves » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 09:28:07 AM »

Still slowly working on this aviary.
Added some "weird wood".

Reeves side.

Golden side.

Jeff

Personal Text

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 11:17:20 PM »

Reeves,

I appears your framing is possibly 2 X 4's, is that correct?  Also, do you have any wire buried to keep preditors from digging?  In Oklahoma, the game ranger who gives their blessing for a license requires either wire or sheet metal being buried.  He told me he won't give his blessing unless there is something 2' or higher off the ground to keep the birds from seeing preditors and flying into netting and killing themselves.

I am using 4 X 4's for the verticals and 2 X 4's for horizontals.  Using 1/2" hardware cloth buried 14" and around 4' above ground, then 1" chicken wire for the remainder and top.  I guess I will use just plain old plywood around 3 to 4' from the ground up for the blind.  It will look bad, but that's what I have to do for the blessing.

Any advice you could give?

Jeff
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 11:39:20 PM »

Lookin' Good Reeves!!      tu2

I guess I will use just plain old plywood around 3 to 4' from the ground up for the blind.  It will look bad, but that's what I have to do for the blessing.

Any advice you could give?

I don't know what it's like in your part of the country, but around here (Ohio), there are fallen down barns everywhere. The metal roofing works great for covering the sides and most people will just give it to you. It can be painted if you like and doesn't look bad at all. You could even put it down in the ground too.......that poultry wire won't last long in the ground, it doesn't seem to last long above ground.  :-|

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Jeff

Personal Text

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 12:00:11 AM »

I didn't even think about checking with farmers.  I know several and maybe can do some trading.  Thanks for the tip.

Jeff
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 08:44:26 AM »

Jeff m- I don't have to ask anyone for permits etc up here in Canada. Only need a permit for migratory birds.

All 2x4s. Nothing buried around pens. Look at all the pictures and you'll see what I did. Also look in the topic "My Aviaries" (third topic down).
Jeff

Personal Text

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 05:02:50 AM »

Reeves,

I've read all the posts you did on the building.  Wow, what a read!  I appreciate the tips about checking with farmers for tin.  I found some who told me to take it away!  however....  I don't like the look of it.  I think I will just build my pen with buried wire, or just pour concrete, then put up painted plywood.  I want it to look good as well as functional.  The corregated tin just looks bad.

What a mess, I had my chicken pen done in a couple days and this quail pen is taking me forever.  I am going to get another 100 eggs next week and I need to get a pen done!

Jeff
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 07:27:14 AM »

Build your aviaries as you want them to look. Put the sight barriers up as a last item. Get the inspection done. He goes away and so do the sight barriers. Than's what I'd do  :angel:

Sight barriers do not have to look bad. In some cases they are needed. Have a look at these: http://www.tragopan.com/Birds/Birds.aspx

I have 9ga chain link, 3' buried and 6' above all around the yard. It costs a lot less (in my case) to do the whole yard, rather than each aviary. The back yard will be done them same, as more (and bigger) aviaries will be built there.
Jeff

Personal Text

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 03:08:24 AM »

Ok, so now I should just put the tin in place and call it good for the inspection.  The biggest predators in my area are cats and dogs.  Jerks from the city dump themn out here and the dogs pack up, cats just prowel around.  I don't know how many of each I've shot....  Would like to meet some of the owners!

I'll just ugly it up with the tin and get the inspection, then make how I want it.

Thanks,
Jeff
smallfarmTN.

Personal Text

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 11:51:44 AM »

Awesome set up Reeves, just awesome!
perrym1962

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 10:45:31 PM »

My goodness that is awesome!! s98
anotherquitter

Personal Text

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 08:23:09 AM »