Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 11:35:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Bleeding after being bread......
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bleeding after being bread......  (Read 5122 times)
Missourihunter85

« on: January 16, 2009, 08:16:50 AM »

I was just wondering if this is something normal that happens or not. My female got bread about a month ago. And now she's bleeding like she's in heat again. Is this normal for a dog to bleed after being bread? I have a vet appointment for later today but I'd like to know if this is a common occurrence or not?
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:41:44 AM »

I was just wondering if this is something normal that happens or not. My female got bread about a month ago. And now she's bleeding like she's in heat again. Is this normal for a dog to bleed after being bread? I have a vet appointment for later today but I'd like to know if this is a common occurrence or not?

Not to my knowledge, unless she was in a false heat the first time.

Let me know what you find out.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
ode2god
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »

she's either miscarried our like he said false heat..see what the vet says if shes in heat you can breed her as soon as the bleeding stops ..if you want pups atleast 2 good ties in the week following her bleeding because a dogs uterus is horseshoe shaped it gives you a better chance at a good litter,you can tell if shes receptive by scratching at the base of her tail .."she'll flag", basically throw her tail to the side and expose her vulva which will be very swollen as well ,when shes "ready "
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 11:40:27 AM »

Not to my knowledge, unless she was in a false heat the first time.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

That was my first thought.  But it isn't "normal"

My 5 year old male goes nuts a month before a female comes in heat.  Most females wouldn't stand for it, but it would be possible for a "false breeding" to take place a month before.

If the bleeding is as you say "like she's in heat again" she probably has not had a miscarriage.  She may be having problems that could lead to one.  Did you have her tested for brucella before breeding her?

I believe there have also been cases of a female coming into heat, again, if the first heat did not produce a pregnancy.  Also rare, if it happens at all.  Is she in a home or kennel with other females?  How old is she?  Young females have odd heat cycles, at times, older have more likelyhod of problems, too, of course.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »

p.s., avoid the misscarriage producing drug, if at all possible, it has bad side effects. It would be better to keep her in the whelping box (if you have already built it) and let nature take it's course, unless she is Brucella positive, in which case, spaying may be the best option.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »