Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:50:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Need Help Ring Neck Pheasant vs Bob White
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need Help Ring Neck Pheasant vs Bob White  (Read 3824 times)
3macs1

« on: November 24, 2008, 04:36:58 PM »

Hi:
I am new to your board and need some help to make a decision on what type of bird to raise.To give you a bit of history 8 years ago I started raising quail to train a new french Brittany I purchased and 12 birds quickly grew to 150. I would do a min of two hatching's a year of 75 eggs each and could always seem to get 55 or so to adult status.
Then over night I took sick and found out I had a rare form of pancreas cancer so gave away all of the birds, pens , cages etc thinking I had months to live.Well it is 4 years later and I am still here, doing OK so I just ordered a new pup for May and miss them dam birds a lot and want to get back into it.
I am very comfortable with bobwhite but the problem is of the 100's of birds that got away from me during dog training etc. Not one made it in the wild from what I can tell however I set a dozen pheasants out 8 years ago and I still see pheasants in the yard.I live in very cold eastern canada.
So I would really like to try pheasants but have no clue with respect to building cages for them,what size wire, should they be on the ground or wire. I think you know where I am coming from. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am starting all over so what to do it right from the start. I am not talking a lot of birds 12 -24 pending the square footage required. If it looks like I don't have the space then quial it will be
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 08:48:20 PM »

s016 to the forum and good luck on your continued recovery. If it were me I would raise the type bird that my dog will be hunting most of the time also considering which one that I liked the most and maybe even Quail and Pheasant. Of course the quail take up  less room about 1 to 2 sq. ft. per bird and the pheasant around 15 ft. per bird and Most raise them on the ground and the quail on wire. The equipment for raising is the same and also the feed is the same just more of it for pheasant. So I would suggest doing a few of each and give your pup some variety. Good Luck..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:40:05 AM »

Can't ever trust the predictions of a Doctor, or a weather man, huh?  This time, it was a good thing.  From what I've heard, it must have been a rare form, if you survived for a full year, even.

Slider's idea of training with the type of bird you will hunt isn't a bad one, except that would probably be  Grouse, and they are all pretty hard to raise, compared to Pheasant, Quail, or Chukar.  Also, they will switch to most game birds, with little trouble.

My guess is the pheasant survive better because they have more body mass.  In extreme cold, Bobwhites must be in really large coveys to make it, and they are not as good a foraging in heavy snow.  Also, they don't range as far, which further limit's their ability to find food.  Slider's idea about Quail and Pheasant is good, Pheasant, especially Roosters can be hard on a young dog.

Are you buying another Épagneul Breton, or an American Brittany?  I assume most of your hunting is brushy and wooded, rather than open prairie grass and Tundra.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 07:54:20 AM »

Welcome 3macs1! I don't know how anyone finds quail that far north. I live in Iowa and most quail live in the southern part of the state. There are a few coveys around here but they don't have near the survival rate as in the southern half of the state. Pheasants do great all over here and in Minn.
Congrats on your surviving the cancer too!

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
3macs1

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 07:06:12 AM »

Thanks Guys for the feedback. On the cancer yes it is one in a million called a gastrinoma. On the birds we would never see a quail in the wild and maybe 2-3 pheasant a year. It is bush hunting for woodcock and ruffed grouse.I still have my first french and she is almost 8. I have never hunted with another dog like her which is why I want another from the same blood line. In my last job I spent probally 12 weeks total in Des Moines and had the opportunity to go with some guys pheasant hunting. They said it was down but man more pheasant than I had ever seen in one day not to mention how big the deer are. Great state and real fine people that is for sure.
Funny yesterday I had a pheasant in the back yard eating grit off the horse track.First one I have seen in about a year.
I would love to try to raise some . I guess where I am still unsure is what size wire to use on the bottom of the pens and the sides, is a 12 foot x 24 foot by 8 foot high outdoor pen OK with a 12x12 shed. How many males vs female. Is there special things I have to do for pecking, how old before I can release some, do they get a lot of diseases.
Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for the help.
roostinridge

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 09:37:21 AM »

I sell many pheasants to people who train dogs and for release. I have never trained hunting dogs before, however I dont think it makes a difference between hens or roosters, some of my customers will only buy roosters. The only reason I bring this up is because typically hens are cheaper then roosters to buy and you will have less fighting with fewer roosters. For my pens I provide 15 sq ft per hen and for roosters I provide a min. of 18 sq ft. You will find out in the spring if you have overpopulation issues in a hurry. If you plan to release any or want a excellent flying bird I would try not to use peepers. DO NOT use full hoods. For the sides of my pens i used regular chicken wire. For the top you want a good quality 2 inch top net one that is knotted. When i built my first flight pen I put a 12x12 shed on one end for them to go in and out as they please. I found that my birds will not use it even in twenty below weather. I drive around after x-mas and pick up christmas trees for the birds to use for cover it works great here in central MN. Good Luck. Oh and remember to bury the wire on the side of the pens at least 18 inches. Secure the floor of the  shed too. My biggest problem critter are the mink, thick around here. Adding a electric fence helps. Good Luck!

Breeder of Gambel, Valley, Blue Scale, Northern Bobwhite, Mexican Speckled, and Mt. Quail. Chukar and Hungarian Partridge. Ringnecks and Greater Prarie Chickens. And a few chickens and guineas around too.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »