Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:41:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Breeding Age for Bobs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Breeding Age for Bobs  (Read 8301 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« on: April 22, 2004, 10:34:35 PM »

I would have done a "search" on this subject.........but you all know the story!

How old do Bobwhites have to be to start breeding? And is there different ages for females and males?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
britguy33
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 01:31:34 AM »

This web site says quail start laying at 140 days.
hope it helps

http://www.buckcreekgamebirds.com/Quailpricing.html
Don McGowan
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 07:01:19 AM »

TB  about 6 months is what I figure on.  After they start laying check fertility it could take several weeks before the eggs are fertile.
nec500
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 05:33:30 PM »

Yeah, but how can you check fertility? DO you have to check it after incubating or is there a different way even before incubation?
nec500
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 05:35:31 PM »

Yeah, but how can you check fertility? DO you have to check it after incubating or is there a different way even before incubation?
britguy33
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 01:17:08 AM »

I would guess you would need to incubate for a few days and then candle. If anyone has better way please let me know. I am new to hatching/breeding and am not sure.
Don McGowan
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 08:33:41 AM »

Sorry it took awhile to respond, we were having baby goats yesterday !!  Incubate the eggs for 10 days then candle. a nonfertile eggs lights up a clear yellow the fertile ones are dark and you can see the red veins inside the eggs. hope this helps
joip
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 10:12:03 AM »

Bobs can start laying around 16 weeks onwards, depends on how fast you want to boost them along if not expect what Don said round 24 weeks

Joip
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 10:18:08 AM »

Thanks everyone......I've got a bob that is about 1 year old and he is in the flight pen with about 8 hens that are 9 weeks old, and I was just wondering what to expect.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »