Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  PLEASE READ
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PLEASE READ  (Read 8530 times)
333_okh
Expert Member

« on: May 08, 2008, 12:26:44 AM »

No joke here.

I have read all about toe pecking, but I am having an anus pecking problem all of a sudden this week.  I have two birds who have had the feather plucked from the rears and are weepy looking.  No good condition.  What the heck is this?

Red Junglefowl is the species.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 01:03:52 AM »

Lots can cause this. You need to check heat, food, crowding. Sometimes when just one starts this nasty habit, the others pick up on it.
I don't know what set up you have, but thin them out, make sure the heat is OK (I'm sure you've read lots about that).
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 01:06:04 AM »

Common with chickens.  Not sure of the cause.  They will completely gut each other, and eat it.  Can happen with any age.  Can be treated with blue, or purple tincture (I forget which).  County extension office can suggest.  In the mean time,  separate the peckees from the peckers, if possible separate the peckees from each other.  Kill the lights, use baseboard, or other heat source.  Red light, only if you must have a little.

Have they been pooping regularly?

Give them #1 starter grit, higher protein, greens to peck.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 01:18:54 AM »

I have the peckees seperated, and they are pissed about it.  I have 10 chicks in a 24" X 28" brooding box with a 75 watt bulb [not red].  The temp of the room without the light is 72-76 degrees, but I have the ability to regulate that higher if needed.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 01:23:43 AM »

Always use a red, or blue light: never white.

From hatch to the end of week one: 95f (watch birds to see if temp needs to be a couple degrees higher. They will "tell" you if needed)
drop 5 degrees a week to ambient temp. May need some heat at nights at that point.

Keep us up dated !
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 01:33:49 AM »

If you're using white light, that is probably your #1, maybe only problem.  Injuries will still have to heal.

Damn shame we don't have those fire hot Christmas bulbs we grew up with!

That would make heat regulation a snap.  Why haven't I thought of that, before?  They may have been too bright.

333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 02:33:16 AM »

would it be better to use a heat eliment such as the light bulb replacements for the reptile cages?
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 07:47:55 AM »

You have gotten some good advice so far. You may also try snippen the end of those little beaks off and put some Styrofoam small pieces in with them...just do not draw any blood when you do it. That would start them on the other end...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 08:14:38 AM »

I have used pine tar on chickens in the past with great success.
They seem to hate the taste.
Put some on the injured birds tail area.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 11:42:18 AM »

would it be better to use a heat element such as the light bulb replacements for the reptile cages?

I'm sure that would work.  I'm not aware of them, might have to check on them, for myself.  I have some old ceramic cone heaters, that screw in like a light bulb.  I have seen these in oscillating heaters, lately.  Thought I might replace element with GQF spring element.  They look like the same diameter.

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »

Wilder I have one of those things around here someplace..wish I could find some more of them..Those ceramic heat elements for reptiles are purtty costly...check out Kingsnake.com..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 03:35:31 PM »

Wilder I have one of those things around here someplace..wish I could find some more of them..Those ceramic heat elements for reptiles are purtty costly...check out Kingsnake.com..

If you find it, post a picture for these guys.  Mine are in the barn, but I am back at my mother'shouse being a good son for a change.  Arms aren't that long.

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 04:53:23 PM »

I hauled it around on the dash of my truck all last year..Dang thang was always rolling around.Sorry cant do pics at this time.......By the way do you know where I can get some heating elements about twice the size of the ones in the GQF incubators????? I should say twice the diameter.

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 05:08:24 PM »

Some "milk house" heater used a coil spring, some use flat element.  Grainger may have replacement.  Race Brothers, Tractor supply?  At least if you start with that type heater as an OEM use, you might get more help than saying " a wire heating element springy thingy.

OH OH OH,  Electric water heater ellement.  The dry type that goes into a "pipe"  not submersible.   I thought I might use some for brooder heaters, this Fall. (Wish I could get paid for all these ideas).

333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 08:15:16 PM »

so the light is not the need at all, but rather just heat?

I could rely on the ambient light from day and night for that and use the heater.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »