Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:56:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Red JungleFowl ***Hatchlings***
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red JungleFowl ***Hatchlings***  (Read 55627 times)
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2008, 02:54:04 PM »

Just a few more pictures.  I have more starting to hatch today.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2008, 03:11:42 PM »

s98

Thanks for the pics!

Are those 100% pure like those ones I seen for sale a while back?    ^-^    :grin:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2008, 07:10:38 PM »

It's a good thing we don't have any trouble makers around here!

I bet they're pure enough to shoot and eat.  Probably be great fun with a flushing dog.  Probably drive a pointing breed to drink.  If that idea works out, I'd pay to try it out some day.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2008, 07:54:01 PM »

Great pictures!!

Those are really beautiful amazing chicks, their feathering out very nicely. Good luck on them!

s98

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2008, 08:04:46 PM »

s98

Thanks for the pics!

Are those 100% pure like those ones I seen for sale a while back?    ^-^    :grin:

They are as pure as the free Lab puppy at the grocery store! LOL.  Like another member I have some that are San Diego Zoo stock [shown], I have chicks hatching today that are from two commercial strains, and another to hatch in a week or so that is a cross between another private breeder and the SD Zoo birds.  Recently I go a batch of eggs from Virginia that is a cross of Old English Game [1/4] and the red jungle fowl [in incubator also].

Other than the OEGxRJF [other than one trio will go to a local farm] the plan is that these will all be breed together to develop a strain of locally hardy RFJ that will roost in the trees at night to avoid the 4-legged predators.  They will then occupy a couple of remote ranches where regular chickens cannot persist and at least one hunting lodge will use them on the grounds with the peafowl.  We will later see about developing a gamebird hunting strain.
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2008, 08:05:44 PM »

s98

Thanks for the pics!

I watched that thread with joy, but I am glad it is over.  I see more of it on gbwf.com.....
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2008, 12:24:07 PM »

Sounds as though you're on a mission and hope that it works out well for you.  Sounds interesting.  I'd like to have some tree roosting free roaming chickens that would lay their eggs in a predetermined location. Let me know if you ever run across such a beast.  :grin:

No trouble intended, just a couple grins!   ^-^

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »

Sounds as though you're on a mission and hope that it works out well for you.  Sounds interesting.  I'd like to have some tree roosting free roaming chickens that would lay their eggs in a predetermined location. Let me know if you ever run across such a beast.  :grin:

No trouble intended, just a couple grins!   ^-^

That is a tall order.  Maybe these Old English Game and RJF crosses?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2008, 01:07:33 PM »

Tripple three, you have got to keep us up-dated on your birds/how ell they do set loose in the wild. I'm very interested in how it works out.
I will not be doing so, just interested.
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2008, 01:30:22 PM »

Reeves...

I will keep everyone posted.  The first to get turned loose will be the crosses since they will be on a typical farm.

I think I need one or two more bloodlines and I am good to start a selective breeding program next year.

Some of this year birds will go to a remote ranch to forage around the ranch house grounds.  Chickens never have lasted long there.  The peafowl have though.
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »

Okay, I need to build that pen soon.  I have a half-way house of a brooder, but I have 25 minorcas coming on the 12th, plus here are the 8 hatchers from the 9 eggs.  I am not giving up on that last egg yet! I have 11 in another brooder box from the 1st hatch as seen above.

I still have a batch of 11 more RJF hatching on the 12th, and 16 of the OE Game x RJF for the 15th, not to mention the bobwhite half dozen on the 15th and the 9 araucanas on the 20th.

jbird
Expert Member

Gods Creatures are for everyone to enjoy

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2008, 10:48:29 PM »

333_okh    what about a hawk problem, them no good things just love chicken for dinner and of course the DNR doesn't like it if something happens to there birds
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2008, 02:46:08 AM »

Still a major concern.  I have read that with the red junglefowl it is essential to keep the right number of roosters to hens.  The rooster's job is the lookout.  In otherwords do not thin the roosters out too much.

OWLS: The great-horned owl is something I do not know how to combat.....legally.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2008, 11:09:12 AM »

Legal, Schmegal!

If you had a few pet crows, their calling might bring in others.  Put out a little corn.  This should keep the owls away from a small area (such as pens).  Out in the "wild", you'll need to me more aggressive.  Maybe plant scattered corn patches?  Crow decoys?  Con neighbors a mile, or two away into raising Chinchillas, rabbits, and white rats?

As  far as right at your pens, even in Kalifornica, you can protect your property, and "pets".  You may have to bend over backward, then forward, exhausting "less drastic" methods, before using the ones that are effective.

Dress a Jack Russel in a chicken suit.  He'll be so pissed, by the time an owl comes along, it will be a short event.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2008, 10:41:17 PM »

"Dress a Jack Russel in a chicken suit.  He'll be so pissed, by the time an owl comes along, it will be a short event."

If nothing else the visual of this made me laugh. 

As a WLDF biologist the rules are not very flexiable in Kalifornia, including Fish and Game Code 3503.5 which prohibits the killing of any owl, without regard to livestock.  They have a higher list status than other species covered under the 'fully protected' clause of state law.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »