Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:32:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Ice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ice  (Read 11065 times)
schultz
Ice
« on: September 08, 2007, 04:20:49 AM »

OK, I know that nobody wants to think about this, but Winter is coming before long.
How does everybody keep there watering systems from freezing in the cold months?
I am looking at the nipple systems but they look as thought they would freeze very easily.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 07:16:22 AM »

No choice but to think of it: hard frost two nights ago !
schultz
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 09:12:09 PM »

Aw come on. Nobody has problems with their watering systems freezing?
Whats the secret, give em vodka instead of water?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:17:25 PM »

I don't have the same system as you. I have heated dog dishes.
But I think this topic was up last winter/fall ?
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 11:42:44 PM »

There is a similar thread somewhere. With the infamouse buried water container using pump to waterers.

I've seen some heated watering system on websites.

Im in So. Cali so don't have an issue with freezing.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 07:50:56 AM »

I still use the ole gravity waterers and just change them constantly. Of course the winters around here haven't been too terrible rough past few years. The sun shining on them will thaw them some throughout the daytime. They get water from snow if there is any, just like any other wild animal.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 10:36:56 AM »

I still use the ole gravity waterers and just change them constantly. Of course the winters around here haven't been too terrible rough past few years. The sun shining on them will thaw them some throughout the daytime. They get water from snow if there is any, just like any other wild animal.

Same thing basically here, but I just put enough water that I know they will drink in a 24hr period. I have 15, 5 gal joint compound buckets and use plastic founts.

These can be found a Cutlers Supply:http://www.cutlersupply.com/store/item.0507.html

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 04:37:28 PM »

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=2344.0
billr
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 01:59:46 AM »

I brought about a dozen of the heated water bowls several years ago on Ebay and I used a couple of them. Somehow during my move to the farm 3 years ago I lost the box with the remaining bowls. I just found that box in the top of the barn last week and was planning on putting them one at a time back on Ebay this fall. If you are interested in any of them I would take $12 a piece for them plus shipping. They are pretty heavy and made of the hard type green plastic materian. The cords have a metal flexible jacket on them. Just email me if you need any of them. Thanks, Bill.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 06:34:46 AM »

I knew I had a link for the place that sells the dishes I use. For Pheasants, I use the blue plastic ones in the top center.

http://www.alliedprecision.com/

Up three hours early (couldn't sleep) has left me with time to catch up on some stuff......going to pay later today !
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 11:35:49 AM »

I knew I had a link for the place that sells the dishes I use. For Pheasants, I use the blue plastic ones in the top center.

http://www.alliedprecision.com/

Up three hours early (couldn't sleep) has left me with time to catch up on some stuff......going to pay later today !

Pretty "High-Tech" for you, isn't it?  Can't you get the hens to sit on the water pans?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 06:07:58 PM »

:laugh:
billr
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 06:54:59 PM »

Look at these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230177282337&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 07:45:50 PM »

Look at these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230177282337&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Those bowls might work, but I wouldn't buy anything from anybody in Texas.  Those people will rip you off every time!  :x

:wink:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
bird288

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 09:24:44 PM »

Hey CharlieHorse ,,I'm from Texas ,,, All of us are not like what you are talking about ,, Have A Good ,,And ,,God Bless,,,,Jay :angel:

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »