Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 11:04:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  bobwhite character? issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: bobwhite character? issues  (Read 3464 times)
kat
« on: June 22, 2006, 11:59:33 AM »

Good morning,
Would anyone like to describe their bobwhite's character? I have been watching these week old bobwhites. There are 21  in a large cardboard box which has been inside our house where we get to interact with them a good deal. They seem so suspicious of any and every thing. They put on quite a show stalking the feeder bin or jumping at imaginary monsters. Now one guy is stalking the others- he walks up from behind, gets right close and pecks at his brother's eye. [perhaps he should first remove the plank out of his own eye before trying to remove the speck out of his brother's eye!] just a joke.
Perhaps they are just looking 'bored' and are picking on eachother. If they were outside wouldn't they be busy chasing real bugs, scratching, and running from real monsters?
What are your bobwhite like?
kat
kat
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 07:13:48 PM »

no replies... that's okay. It is just that 
I see our coturnix have a much different personality. Just thought it was interesting and wondered if others found the same/or not!.
JohnInDixon
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 07:18:21 PM »

I enjoyed your story, just don't have Bobs :-(

John
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 08:03:40 PM »

Yes thanks for sharing that story Kat. Yes and I do enjoy watching my chicks. I love it when they dog-pile on top of each other. :laugh:

And Yes if they were out side, they would be doing all the things you described. OUt on the dirt, they would be even more happier and entertaining in the case that the weather permits or if they had a mother. I have a dirted pen out back and have a few weeks old in it. They would bathe in the dirt, sun. Chase after flies, eat ants. They just seem happier in a natural setting.
buttonquail
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 12:06:51 AM »

Yours have more personality than mine.  Mine just sit on the couch with the remote control!  They are 3 weeks old and just eat and sleep, or fly if something spooks them.
honda2hummer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 10:45:47 AM »

My bobs are not yet a week old and they are very active. they don't stop, they are very playful little creatures. They do try to get at eachother alot, I don't know why. Maybe it's their way to play together. LOL
I have 33 chicks together and they are okay just active like yours.
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 07:26:37 PM »

If you want a real show, cover the top of the brooder with hardware cloth (of a small enough size they can't jump through) and place them outside under a light at night........They will have you in stitches chasing the moths etc...
honda2hummer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 07:09:59 PM »

how are these bobs doing, mine are still very active, they are about 3 weeks old, or almost. Getting big quick, they are so wonderful and funny to watch
kat
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 08:44:49 PM »

We have 21 bobs who are 5-6 weeks old. I think I am hearing a slight ''bob-white'' call. They are SOOO funny. They are in a large pen at nice eye level under the eaves right in front of  sliding glass doors. We see them all day [as this is mostly where we are all day] and get to hear for them at night. We study them:) really.  I think that is why I asked so many questions and right before anything bad happened. We get to watch them alot from the AC. They still like to dog-pile. They all climb in to this little box top lid .  Then I started giving them dust baths, which see [on another post]. And they LOVE their am treat, when I come in to feed and clean and water them- I bring them some fine chopped cooked egg. They will come run to me, wheep- wheep, wheep-wheep. I do talk to them like that whenever I get around them. They are very calm when they here I am near and watching, and excited to hear if I am coming to open their pen. One flew out and I had to catch him. It was silent while their brother was missing. When I got him back, they all feasted real good.
Oh, I had put a box on it's side in the pen in case they wanted some extra coverage? They actually use it more for take off and landing, as they practice flying lessons on and off the top of it.  Many times some will lie in it, sound asleep on their side- legs stuck out,  and ONE guy stands on top, alert, watching... he is mr. look-out. So funny, a simple thing like that. Add some dimension to your pen and see what happens!
kat
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »