Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 01:43:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  What species of quail do you prefer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What species of quail do you prefer?  (Read 8750 times)
IllusionP
« on: May 19, 2006, 04:01:27 PM »

I am starting a quail breeding operation to supply dog trainers with birds. I have raised quail in the past but not to the scale I will be here soon. I have all the equipment lined up to provide 3,000 quail a month to local hunters. But now I'm having trouble deciding what to breed. I at first thought Pharaoh quail because they produce faster after hatching but have read that they might not be good for training dogs. So if you guys could share with me what you prefer that would be great. Also, any suppliers of eggs?
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 04:59:10 PM »

bobwhites
Okiebirdhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 05:09:08 PM »

Tennessee Red Bobwhites would be my preference, they seem to be a bit more flighty than the Northern Bobwhite. If you go with a coturnix quail, I would select tibetans. I have tibetans now, they are hearty and flighty and I will soon be getting Tennessee reds. Coturnix birds will fly alright if they are about 8 to 10 weeks old, however they do not recall.  Bobwhites would be my all around favorite but they take a long time to grow and are best around 16 to 18 weeks as far as being flight conditioned. My opinion of course

John Bellah
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 03:27:19 PM »

I like bobs
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 05:24:52 AM »

I personally do not train dogs and never did. But those that I know whom do.....they go for the Bobs. Although Bobs are native to alot if not all of the country and more than likely require state license's to have Bobs to be legal as it is required in my state.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
gunner

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 07:24:02 AM »

Bobs/TN Reds

Sandy Acres quail farm in SW Indiana has some of the flightiest birds I've ever seen.
They'll ship eggs.
IllusionP
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 06:53:29 PM »

Thank you so much for all your info. I think I 'm going to go with the Tibetans and the Bobs to begin with. I live in Texas and get so many calls a month wanting quail for this purpose or to even release on their land. If I go with the Bobs and the Tibetans I will then be able to provide both trainer and hunter with their quail. I have already spoken with my Pullorium tester for my state and we are going to work together for my certification and I will do a twice yearly inspection.  In Texas you do need a gamebird license if you raise Bobs but really it is easy to get one and if I'm correct is only $25. NOT TOO BAD!! LOL. I will keep you guys posted with my progress and also any questions that I might have. Like I said I have quail and have been raising them for some time now but not on this huge of a scale. So I know problems will occur but hopefully not too big for me to handle.  Thank you guys again.
Okiebirdhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 04:53:22 PM »

Just remember that tibetans are a coturnix quail and will not be suitable for stocking. They will however grow faster and will produce more offspring. Try not to market them as a supplement to wild birds, when they flush they may not land on the property you release them.

John Bellah
OKC, OK
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 09:58:09 PM »

Bobs/TN Reds

Sandy Acres quail farm in SW Indiana has some of the flightiest birds I've ever seen.
They'll ship eggs.

Can you give me contact info for them? I need some red and bob eggs.

Thank you in advance!

Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
douglasgraham
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 04:37:42 PM »

Bob's all the way. I hunt my dogs over wild birds (not as often as I'd like)so I like to train on what they will encounter on real hunts.
rushcreek

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 09:12:30 AM »

In Texas you do need a gamebird license if you raise Bobs but really it is easy to get one and if I'm correct is only $25. NOT TOO BAD!! LOL.

Hey, let me know where you can get that Texas gamebird breeder's license for $25. I paid $180.00 for mine the first time and will have to pay $150.00 this year. Have they changed something that I don't know about? I would gladly pay that $25.00.

Rush Creek Quail Farm
http://www.rushcreek.net
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 12:57:50 PM »

Hello All, I started 2 yrs ago in june. I paid $25 for it "under 1000 birds" annually. Then I had to get another 1 in Aug. It went up. Then last year i got my breeders lis. $180 "for 1000+" I'm gonna have to renew my breeders lis., this yr. You have to get the breeders if your gonna have 1000+ for the $180 less than 1000 you can just get the $25 one. Thanks, GOD BLESS Tommy
rushcreek

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 11:25:20 AM »

Tommy, I read somewhere that the 1000+ license was going to run $150.00 this year. Did they change it back to $180.00? It's hard to keep up with the changes.

Rush Creek Quail Farm
http://www.rushcreek.net
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 12:13:15 PM »

hello, Last yr was my 1st time to buy breeders it was $180 I hope its $150 to renew. GOD BLESS Tommy
IllusionP
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 11:46:36 AM »

I was really wrong about the price of the gamebird license. I think the person that I got my info on is operating with the wrong type of license because they have a lot more then 1,000 birds. I did go to our Tpwd site. It is saying that a non resident permit will be $240 and the resident will be $60. I'm very confused though on what I should need. The way I'm reading it is you only need a non resident permitt if you sale birds at a different site then your home. ??????? Anyone have any info to help me.

I did decide not to go with the Tiebetans. Too much work having two different kinds of quail. I might add them later but I'm focusing on the bobs at the moment.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »