Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  CANT UNDERSTAND
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CANT UNDERSTAND  (Read 4300 times)
MAX
« on: April 04, 2006, 01:58:53 PM »

I just hatched out some Phoenix chickens.. I ordered 10 eggs but got 12 and after the hatch i ended up with 2 really nice birds .. but thought that the rest was not fertile or the long trip in the mail caused them not to hatch , but after checking the eggs i found i had 5 fully developed birds that should have pecked their way out and 2 others were about half way developed ..so being fertile is not a question... So what did i do wrong..I kept the humidity at 55% for 18days and up to 70% for the last 3 days the temp was 99.5 with forced air fan and auto turner.. does anyone know what stopped them from pecking out.. (Trying to be a chicken farmer two chickens at a time)...  and probably 2 roosters at that..          max
Babs_MN
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 03:35:29 PM »

Hi Max,

I think the problem may have been your low humidity. My charts say 86-88% humidity upped to 90%, for the last three days.

Babs
Country Egg
www.countryegg.com
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 03:50:55 PM »

I think you mean wet bulb babs, i think max means % .
woodenegg
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 04:16:36 PM »

I assume the discussion is between relative humidity and percent dry bulb.  Part of the problem in this hobby is that these is a lot of literature out there with different things expressed the same way.  Both MAX and Babs are correct, just speaking different "languages".  This becomes even more confussing when you toss in wet bulb temperatures.  Relative Humidity is the ratio of what the water vapor pressure is vs. what the maximum it could be at the given temperature and barometric pressure.  Percent dry bulb is the ratio of the wet bulb temperature and the dry bulb temperature, and of course web bulb temperature is just that.  There are several good trouble shooting guides out there, I'm sure a search would give you one.  Just remember they are written in general as are incubation instructions and there are differences depending on what you are hatching, some subtle some not.  Good Luck
MAX
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 11:12:09 AM »

Thanks guys for the reply.. Yes i use  humidity meters made by the Vick's ,co and have hatched a few hundred quail..I have looked at the wet bulb many times but have not got one as of yet.. I have even gone as far as not to use city water in my incubators and use nothing but distilled water to stay away from the chlorine  and fluoride that our water ,co uses and none of our well water cause of the iron & calcium in it...I also keep my thermometer in the turner with the eggs at the center of the eggs.. My 12 yr old son has really gotten into the quail and is hatching 120 coturnix quail for the big poultry sale at our fair grounds mid May... I think its great that the young learn the art of incubation and not let it die out. THANKS FOR THE REPLY
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »