Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 06:26:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Questions regarding BobWhite
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions regarding BobWhite  (Read 4167 times)
Wing&aPrayer
« on: May 05, 2004, 01:07:57 PM »

We got bob white quail eggs to incubate and hatch for my sons boy scout project. We have 6 babies, 5 out of the six I had to get out of their shells or they would have died. They pipped but 48 hours still had not hatched. One of them I had to give some hanfeeding formula to because we thought he was going to die, he was very weak. Needless to say they have all made it and are now a week old! My question is, we originally bought them to hatch them, raise them, and then release them. Do they do ok if you realease them or do they become imprinted to much? And if you keep them what kind of pets do they make? I have exoctic birds so taking caring of birds is a daily routine around here. But I want what is best for the birds. We are not going to breed or anything. If we keep them what kind of housing do you recommend for them? Thanks for any info.

Christie
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 07:17:03 PM »

Well good for you. Quail are interesting but ummmm...as pets, well I don't know. The girls get to help with baby birds that can not walk right and we have had much success with that but they can not name them because they might end up on the dinner table and everyone knows that around here. I would say with only six to release them. If the decision is to keep them and you already have birds just make them a place to stay and keep them. They have the most comforting call, and with only 6 birds you would not need a large area. You will not be able to hold them and pet them I think you probably know that but...its worth mentioning. Good luck. Lori  :lol:

Five Hollers Quail Farm
britguy33
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 01:50:24 AM »

If you do release do it at 6-8 weeks and sel them out with a small amount of food( native food and seed mix) in cover. put food out in the same place for 2 weeks slowly lowering the amount but do this where there is native food. This will teach them to look for their own food but they will have food to come back to so they will not starve. Lower human interaction to a minimum during the next few weeks and feed them grasses, seeds, native vegetation after 5 weeks until release.  This should be a good recipe for aiding their wild survival.  If you locate a covey or calling quail release there so they can join up with a wild covey.
Country Quail Boy FL
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 08:13:56 PM »

I have 3 bobs that are good pets. Ever since they were a week old i picked them out of the other chicks and put colored bands on their legs so i could tell them apart. I made sure that for at least an hour everyday I took them out of the brooder and played with them and just held them close to my body for warmth. They bonded with me. Now they are about 10 weeks old and when i go out to the pen they greet me at the door. i let run and fly around the yard while i fill the feeders and waters. And when i get done i whistle "Bob-white" and the come back to me. They will sit on my shoulders and let me hold them anytime i want to. The key is you just have to spend PLENTY of TIME with them.
Wing&aPrayer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 12:32:23 AM »

Thanks everyone for all the info.  There is defintly one that will probably stay we had seperate him because the others picked on him and made a small sore which we got to heal up but this same one is one I had to hand feed a little in the begining so he will come and get my hand when I put it in the cage. Since he has beenby himself he seems to be attached to us more so than the others.  I guess when they get a little older we will make decision.
Wing&aPrayer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 01:16:23 AM »

ok another question from the newbie here......I was reading the post on the board in regards to brooder temps. Now you all dont laugh...but we have our babies in our bedroom in a brooder with a heat lamp on. ( I'm sure my neighbors wonder what the red glow in my window is LOL) The temp is about 85. They will be 3 weeks old Tuesday and have started getting some feathers. The temp here, I live in Missouri, is the upper 80's during the day and 70's at night. Should I keep them in the brooder until  4 to 6 weeks old or could we make a pen for them outside and move them out sooner?
Don McGowan
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 07:02:22 AM »

I would move them outside and just use the brooder light at night for another couple weeks.  just my 2 cents worth
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »