Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:18:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Male/Female ratio
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Male/Female ratio  (Read 4389 times)
Jerms
« on: April 30, 2004, 04:35:23 PM »

I had been experiencing a pecking problem so last Saturday I thinned out a bunch of males.  I thought my ratio was about 1/1 but since they are quick to run around in the cage I had a hard time getting an accurate count.  Anyway, I had 19 males and 13 females so I decided it was time for 13 of the boys to go.  We're in the process of selling our home so I didn't have time to butcher them so I just released them behind our house.  We have a good sized area of timber that ends just at our back yard and even though I know that many of them might not survive but I have really enjoyed hearing them calling out in the woods.  A couple of them hang out under their brothers' and sisters' cage most of the time and one likes to run around in our driveway and yard.
Here's my question.  I have all my quail together in a 6x10 cage (6' tall).  Is the 6/13 ratio ok for this setup?  Do I need to release a couple more?

Thanks,
JC
Country Quail Boy FL
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 07:05:31 PM »

Thats fine...no need to release anymore.
Don McGowan
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 10:30:36 PM »

Most of my breeding pens have 2 girls to 1 boy so what you have sounds about right.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »