Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:24:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Cranberrys
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cranberrys  (Read 4043 times)
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« on: December 24, 2007, 09:35:41 AM »

A thought,

next week and until they are gone the grocery stores are going to be unloading cranberrys, has anyone tried them on Bobwhites and Pheasants for treats?

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 10:20:52 AM »

Nope.....not I.        c49

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 12:54:17 PM »

Raw will be good for them.
The goopy mess stuff not likely: too much unwanted stuff it it.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 01:06:44 PM »

I was thinking of the bags, I usually get a bunch of them because I like them, in everything from pancakes to muffins.  This year my few Bobwhites will get some too. The canned stuff I dont eat myself, I fix a sauce with boiled berries, oranges and orange rind and walnuts. Some splendra. Or honey, or both.

My birds are also getting lettuce, and what chopped greens are available. Doesnt take a lot.  I sliced some acorn squash in half and they pick at those too.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 04:00:23 PM »

No need to chop up greens for Bobs: they love to tear it up !

For lettuce, are you giving Romaine ? It has a great deal more nutrients in it than other types.

This topic reminds me....I have to take some Sasktoons out of the freezer for the birds !
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 09:13:58 AM »

I buy whatever looks good, not feeding many, sometimes I get spinach or mustard greens, have fed romaine, they like it but also like the spinach.  i put it on top of the feed trays and they take it first, chirping like crazy.  I had some eggs that were getting old so I hardboiled them and split a couple between the three cages.  They love them.

I got a bag of cranberrys yesterday, at first I cut some in half but found they would eat the whole ones. Cleaned them up in about ten mins. 

I also found that they like cooked brown rice and brown beans. I had some left over so split it between the doves outside and the quail. The quail went to it quicker then the doves. These little guys are getting a lot of experimenting on them.

It'll be interesting doing the same thing with Pheasants next winter.  I am going to see what I can do raising some mealworms in totes, got several 15 gallon sizes. The quail will take them from my fingers but buying them at a pet shop is pricey. A local bait shop carrys them in the spring.  Just use them for a taming treat. Gotta be cheaper raising them.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

Thomas Jefferson
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 09:26:24 AM »

Black oil seed (sunflowers) works great for a hand fed treat/taming as well.

The only bird here that is not tamed down , and I don't think he ever will, is my Amherst male. It's just this bird's personality to be this way. I've had others that tamed down nicely.

The Reeves male , you don't want to hand feed ! In the summer when I find a big Grasshopper, I'll slip it through the wire for him. He doesn't even take the time to kill it, he is so concerned about ripping a chunk out of me !
 :grin:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »