Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:18:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Bulk Bins for feed storage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bulk Bins for feed storage  (Read 7044 times)
mark

« on: November 01, 2007, 11:42:40 AM »

Does anyone do any large scale feeding of their quail i.e., enough feed to fill a small grain bin.
I am getting to the point of were I need to look into getting a bin to start storing my feed, the local feed store sells Gamebird feed in bulk but at a minimum of 3 tons.

Any help would be appreciated
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:06:38 PM »

How long are you looking at storing your feed? The bulk feed is cheaper and is handier but if you are letting your feed sit to long you are going to get mold and your nutritional value is going to drop. We get anywhere from 2-4 tons every 2 weeks we dont like to let the feed sit much longer than that. You can let the feed sit a little longer in the winter since there isnt as much moisture but a month at the most.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Quality bobwhite quail, chukar partridge and pheasants (started and mature.)
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 02:32:44 PM »

I used bulk feed in Kansas.  I've been in Missouri just over a year.  I've found it is often cheaper to have feed bagged, depending on your location and the delivery routes.  In my case, starter was actually a few dollars cheaper, bagged, and stored at my local MFA store.  And the minimum was 2 tons, rather than the 3 ton bulk minimum.  Also, you may be able to split a load with another grower, which is usually easier with bagged feed.  MFA charges $20 per ton for bagging, AMD can charge as much as $50/ton.   If you live on, or near, an established bulk route, bulk should be cheaper.

I've had better luck keeping bagged feed cool and dry.  If you feed 100-200 pounds per day, bagged feed probably won't be much more work.

By all means, consider building wooden bins, you'll have less problems with condensation.  You can either include a hopper type door in the bottom, or a box, wide enough to accommodate a bucket for scooping, with hinged door on top(top of the box, not the bin).

Will you have separate bins for starter, grower, finisher, and layer feeds?   If so, they can be built with common walls to save on construction costs.  My preference is 30% starter, and 18-20% for adult flight birds.  Any percentage between these can be mixed with use of simple math.  For layers, calcium can be provided by sprinkling granules on feed, and/or providing pellets, or oyster shell, free choice.  Don't forget the grit.  These levels are high, but will help offset the lower vitamin/protein levels in ragweed cover and grasses, if you raise them on the ground.

If you have the vitamin/mineral premix added at 150%, you should be safe unless you let the feed get wet.  Cedar, and desiccant canisters will help.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 02:41:33 PM »

Bulk would be much easier if you are thinking about using flex auger systems. Flip the switch and feed. We have 2 4 ton bins, 2 2 1/2 ton bins and one large bin that is 10 tons. The smaller bins will all be hooked up to the flex auger systems so bulk feed is the only way to go. We use 28% for starter and drop to 24% for 8-12 weeks 12-16 we go to 21% and then we go down to 17% for adult birds.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 03:23:10 PM »

Bulk would be much easier if you are thinking about using flex auger systems. Flip the switch and feed.

Auger feeders!  The dream/fantasy/goal/salvation of every grower producing more than a couple thousand birds!

Everyone I know who uses them (gamebird, and chicken folks), says they are wonderful, "the best investment we ever made", a "marriage saver".  I'm sure they relieve a lot of stress, and never have an ailing Grand Mother, like my current feeding system.  I enjoy being out under the stars, toting buckets of feed, when the weather is nice.  But I bet I'd enjoy strolling out to check the birds, without the buckets, too!

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 04:02:36 PM »

Well, we did everything by hand still this year, and it is becoming to much. My dad and I both still work full time jobs right now. We raised 15,000 quail this year and we both get home from work late in the afternoon. Its something we had to do out of necessity. We are building a new 2 story brooder house and everything is going to be automatic, it just has to be at this time. Its a decent amount of money up front but we are going to need it for many years to come.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
mark

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 02:40:15 AM »

thanks for all the input, I will have to contact my local MFA to see what the charge is for pallet loads of feed.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »