Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 07:24:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  Quail Treats
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail Treats  (Read 9284 times)
areadshaw
« on: April 15, 2007, 08:57:53 PM »

I would like to know what some of you experienced quail-raisers feed to your birds for treats. My students would love to give treats but I really don't know what would be best/easiest to give.

Abby
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 09:57:08 PM »

easiest would be fruits and vegtables. Lettuce, diced apples, etc.  It should be soft enough for the birds to peck at and eat. Good luck.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 09:26:29 AM »

apples and  lettuce are the favorites
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 03:31:43 PM »

I give Romaine lettuce. Much more "good stuff" it it than normal lettuce. But not too much: high acid content (so I was told).

Bobs like the black oil (sunflower) seeds as well. Valley Quail do not seem to like them.

All/most mellons.

Dandelions, clover/alfalfa. Alfalfa is much higher protein. than clover. Lots of other weeds they love as well.
Nina
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:57:54 PM »

Abby,

Did you hatch you quail in the classroom?  How old are your quails now?  Mine are 2 weeks old and getting ready to fly out of the box they are living in.  I think they are ready for a permanent home, but the prospects I had fell through.  Will you be doing with your quails if they become too big for your classroom?

-Nina
Kindergarten teacher in CA
cgsmith
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 03:48:57 PM »

Can you give these to babies as well?  I put some clover in there every once in a while but was thinking about grapes.  Crystal
CalebK273

Mandarin Drake at the house.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 02:10:28 PM »

I used to feed mine rye grass clippings as well as blue berries and other small fruits.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 03:37:51 PM by CalebK273 » Logged

Caleb L. Kordsmeier
I have Woodducks, Mandarins, AGB's and BB Red OEG.
Visit My Website
birdlover
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 03:10:38 PM »

hi,

i feed my coturnix quails things such as insects,high in protein,  fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds  ...they really enjoy insects especially if their alive, the male usually grabs an insect or two, and trys to give it to one of the hens, to attract them!!
areadshaw
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 09:40:37 AM »

Nina-

I did hatch my quail in my classroom. They are now 7-8 weeks old. I had them in a cardboard box for a while, then put them in a larger (4'x8') wooden box with a hardware cloth lid that I made.

My husband is an avid hunter and all along, we planned on taking them home to raise for meat and for hunting. He just finished the pen for them last weekend.

I would suggest passing word around through parents or even putting a classified ad in the paper if you really need to be rid of them!

Abby
doobie
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 09:08:15 PM »

my kids love to feed my bobs crickets and dragonflys lol they tear them things up lol
madasafish
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 01:00:59 PM »

Mine go crazy for minced hard boiled egg (with shell)  and finely cut cucumber
awolf

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 07:33:11 PM »

Mine love to shred dandelions. I guess they like the milk weed. Fun to watch them. They seem to like everything except high protein bird food. (Turkey crumbles)
areadshaw
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 02:55:43 PM »

So far, I've used grapes - it took them a while to warm up to them, but now they love 'em!

Cherries were great - I did these a few days after the grapes. The birds went nuts over them!

Tried watermelon last night...they ate it all, but weren't as crazy about it as they were the cherries.

I put in some tall grass, clover, dandelions, and whatever else I can find every once in a while.
madasafish
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 04:14:39 PM »

Mashed hard boiled egg and shell: love it
cucumber fine cut: love it
Apple:ok
Lettuce: love it.
meal worms: love them
millet seed : stalk hung from pen : keeps them busy for hours.

They live on a grass floor so eat it a little: when young in brooder ate a lot of grass.

yet to try: tomato/grape/melon/brussel sprouts /raspberries/strawberries /french beans..
areadshaw
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 12:18:55 PM »

I tossed in a bag of salad a few days ago. I've never heard these birds be so chatty before!

I have noticed that when my husband throws treats in, they're very cautious of whatever it is. But when I throw something in, they go crazy!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »