Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:45:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Always try something before giving up
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Always try something before giving up  (Read 4256 times)
stewaw
Expert Member

« on: May 01, 2004, 11:15:45 PM »

First off, hi everyone.  I guess I was the only one who didn't get invited to the "new" forum.....I wonder if there is a hint in there somewhere?? LOL.
Thought I would jump in an share my most recent...oops!
I had my first "home grown" Red Golden pheasant egg a couple of days past due to hatch so I candled and saw what appeared to be a dead chick (no movement or indication of rupturing the air sac).  I went ahead and opened the very top of the egg to see it a little better and low and behold I saw movement.  Now what do you do?  I've tried these in the past and never had one complete the hatching as it appears they lose to much valuable moisture after this and dry up in the shell. In this case, I didn't want to simply throw it over the fence so I took some clear tape and taped the hole back up, bumped the humidity up in the bator and three days later I got a perfectly healthy chick. Someone asked once before how long to wait on pheasant...this one was 29 days.  I blame it mainly on poor handling prior to incubation as I left it in the nest as a decoy egg and the hen or cock kept playing golf with it bouncing it all over the pen.
I offer this as a lesson.....always be willing to experiment, you just might learn something new.

David
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 12:33:44 AM »

Temps OK ? Sounds like it was too low.........29 days makes it 6-7 days late!
MaDHaTTer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 02:35:47 PM »

THE SIGN OF DEFEAT !
YOU HAVE GAVE UP HOPE.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »