Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:29:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  new build incubator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new build incubator  (Read 4491 times)
bigjohn752000

Personal Text

« on: March 31, 2013, 10:40:14 PM »

hey guys im new to raising quail and i just built my first incubator its 20w x 24 tall x 20 deep hatching tray and one tray for hova turner had heat in it for a coupla days no water and it is staying at 98.5 temp and went from 60 humidity down to 57 with no water how do i get humidity down?
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 06:59:57 AM »

hey guys im new to raising quail and i just built my first incubator its 20w x 24 tall x 20 deep hatching tray and one tray for hova turner had heat in it for a coupla days no water and it is staying at 98.5 temp and went from 60 humidity down to 57 with no water how do i get humidity down?

Do you have any vent holes? You need at least 2, one upper and lower opposite sides and a way to close them off.

Where is your heating element?

Where is your humidity/water tray going to sit? It should sit just in front of the heating element.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 11:15:07 AM »

That temp is not good enough for still air or circulating air..Which is yours ?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
bigjohn752000

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:59:53 PM »

i have 2 1 inch vent holes in back one at top one at bottom. the little giant heat coil is center and up to and the water will go on shlf under it have a fan circulating air in cornrner blowing over water toward the ligh and part of the little giant coil. took water completly out and it ranged from 98 this morning to 101.5 this evening with a 60 watt light bulb the humidity is down to 45.5 so im going to add a lil water to get to 55 or 60 right?
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:30:16 AM »

Boy, get out of raising birds for a few years and you forget a lot of this info.  Try doing on search on the site and I'm sure you'll find something.  Looking at the info of my past hatches my humidity was typically aroun 53 to 55% and then bump up to 65% for the last few days. 

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 06:42:05 AM »

Fan should be blowing directly through the heating coils. Water pan directly in front of heating coils and fan. Your two 1" holes should have some way to open and close for humidity adjustment.

Depending where you live, ambient temps  and the incubator location will determine how well your incubator will hold or even get up to the required temp. Drafts will also cause problems.

Chickens = 21 days
Pheasants = 23-28 days incubation
Bobwhite quail = 23-24 days incubation
Circulated air flow Temp = 100*
(bob white quail) Humidity (wet bulb, F)* = 84 - 86 (51-56% relative humidity)
(pheasants) Humidity (wet bulb, F)* = 82 - 84 (48-51% relative humidity)
(chickens) Humidity (wet bulb, F)* = 85 - 87 (51-56% relative humidity)
Final egg day rotation = 21 days (chickens 19) (pheasants 21)
Temp during the final 3 days of incubation (F)* = 99.5
(bob white quail) Humidity during the final 3 days of incubation (wet bulb, F)* 90-94 (73-83% relative humidity)
(pheasants) Humidity during the final 3 days of incubation (wet bulb, F)* 92-95 (76-86% relative humidity)
(chickens) Humidity during the final 3 days of incubation (wet bulb, F)* 90-94 (68-80% relative humidity)

I incubate and hatch out my Rn Pheasants and Rhode Island Red chickens together since the temps and humidity fall within the settings .

Edited for modification

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:21:15 AM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »