Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:51:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Butler Bobwhite
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Butler Bobwhite  (Read 36587 times)
cpurg

« on: January 25, 2006, 08:20:55 AM »

I raise butler bobwhites. I am looking for other breeders who raise these birds to buy eggs from or trade breeder eggs. I am looking to get some new lines into my flock but have had trouble finding other breeders. Please let me know if you have eggs for sale or would like to trade eggs.
Thanks
Chuck
ozarkwings@townsqr.com
geeter

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 09:10:19 AM »

Check with Bill at  http://www.royalflushgamebirds.com    BIll is a class act and you won't be sorry doing business with him.  I've dealt with him and it's always been a positive experience.
Mike
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 11:10:23 AM »

is there any difference between the Butlers and Giants? I just ordered some Georgia giants from ebay.

Ebay has a seller of Butlers. could try there unless it is you. ;)
cpurg

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 06:54:08 PM »

I am not familiar with the Georgia Giants  The first I heard about them was last year. They may be butlers by another name. The butlers usually get around 18oz. average.
Chuck
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 09:17:24 PM »

Yes I noticed pple like to make up names for birds to make their own strain even though the difference is little. Here is a response I received from the seller:

Yes they are pretty much the same..I have seen Giants get about 1-2 oz larger but besides that not much difference..Sorry that this is all I can give you I have raised both..Also the Giants in my own eyes have lager wing span and tail feathers which make a excellent flight bird..Thanks
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 10:38:05 PM »

I am lookingat starting to raise Butlers for meat production and eggs mainly due to the size requested by some cafes here.

I am looking for a bobwhite instead of a Chukar because I have had beeter luck with our humid and wet conditions heare in the winter.

Are there other bobwhite strains that get larger than Butlers?
brentsquailfarm

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 11:08:34 PM »

The Butler BW is suppose to be th largest of BW. Butlers are great for egg and meat productions due to there great size. Most Butlers will equal two Tenn. Reds, Wisconsin, and other ones too.  j2

Don't forget to take a kid hunting or fishing.
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »

That really is what I am looking for.  These are not going to be flight birds in most cases.  One supplier said he had 24-28 ounce birds in many cases.  Does that seem too large?
brentsquailfarm

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 11:26:39 PM »

One supplier said he had 24-28 ounce birds in many cases.  Does that seem too large?

I bet that he has them in a breeder pen. So they just eat, drink, and lay eggs all day. I have Butlers and they are in breeding battery cages. An some of mine are close to that size. I have some in larger cages and they would only weigh about 15oz..  j11

333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 12:14:41 AM »

Would you recommend the Butler or another strain?

Ø   Cunningham MS Giants            14-16   oz.
Ø   Georgian Giants               14-16   oz.
Ø   Jumbo Wisconsin               12-14   oz.
Ø   Butler Ill Giants               16-22   oz.
Ø   Northern (wild)               05-08   oz.

brentsquailfarm

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 11:08:51 AM »

I like the Butler for a meat and egg production quail but that is just me. Some like the other BW's that are good flyers and also have some meat too. It just depends on what you like and want. Your chart on there weight is pretty much correct. Some size may vary a little but that depends on how you raise them.

333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 03:43:40 PM »

Sounds like they are my birds then.  I want them for mostly meat.

Too bad there isnt as many suppliers of the Butler, at least that I can find.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 04:02:37 PM »

There are plenty of Butler suppliers. Now if they are local to you, that's another question.

But if you are looking for eggs, many sellers here on this here forum, ebay.com, eggbid.com. Will see more available during/around season.  good luck.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 04:05:14 PM by aKirA » Logged
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 08:44:23 PM »

I guess what I am saying it that I want to find 2-4 reputable breeders that are selling TRUE strains of Butler Illinois Bobwhites.  I want eggs or chicks from strong healthy birds more than I am worried about the price.

I once tried to get a specific strain of Coturnix and ended up with an obvious cross between a few strains.  A true mutt. 

I would like to avoid that now.  I would like to start with at least 30 breeding females and the corresponding necessary males.

I have plans for a battery, incubation, brooder, grow out cages and an outdoor facility that resembles a flight cage for the meat birds.

I would like to say they are “all natural, organic and free ranging.”
brentsquailfarm

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 09:42:01 PM »

I guess what I am saying it that I want to find 2-4 reputable breeders that are selling TRUE strains of Butler Illinois Bobwhites. 

First I have never heard of the Butler Illinois BW's but then there are a lot of different strains of Butlers. I will have to say that some people just cross to different strains of BW's and than name them. There are a few guys that have true Butlers but I don't know many of them. There is a mention of a breeder in the early part of this post with his web site. I will have some eggs ready in the late part of this spring after I hatch the early ones out. That is the early eggs that I will get from them. Hope this helps you in your quest to find the Butlers.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »